Illinois Wesleyan Emergency Procedures
General Evacuation Procedures
- Building evacuations will occur when the fire alarm sounds continuously and/or when
notified by Security personnel.
- Know the marked exits for your building. Know the exit routes from your work area.
- Leave the building immediately if an alarm sounds or if directed to do so by Security
- Notify emergency personnel of persons with disabilities who are in the building and
- Do not use elevators in case of fire.
- Once outside, move to a clear area a safe distance from and within sight of the building.
Keep streets and walkways clear for emergency vehicles and personnel. If requested,
assist emergency personnel. Do not return to an evacuated building unless directed
to do so by Security or emergency personnel.
Campus (IWU) Security: 309-556-1111 or x1111 if using a campus phone
Fire - 911
Ambulance - 911
- For help with any type of emergency, phone 911 or Campus Security at 309-556-1111
or x1111 if using a campus phone.
- Explain the problem and location to the Officer.
- Do not hang up until told to do so.
Note: If calling 911 from a campus phone, it is not necessary to dial a "7" first
for an outside line.
In cases of emergency, notification and communication will be done in a variety of
ways. Messages will be broadcast through the campus-wide phone systems as well as
campus email and my.iwu. The IWU alert system will also be employed to notify students,
faculty and staff through cell phone, home phone or other designated number. To update
your information for the IWU alert, click on the “Personal Information” link on the
front page of my.iwu.
The University Communications staff members will direct communication with the media
and in most cases, the University Communications staff or the President will speak
on behalf of the university. In emergency situations, when media personnel need information,
please direct them to the office of University Communication at 309-556-3181 or x3181
if using a campus phone.