Experience IWU: Family Orientation
Experience IWU: Family Orientation offers parents, guardians, and adult support persons
the opportunity to learn more about their students' upcoming transition to college.
IWU faculty, staff, and orientation leaders. IWU faculty, staff, and orientation leaders
welcome families to the IWU family with a day filled with meeting new people, educational
sessions, and getting a chance to experience IWU first hand. This year we will hold
Family Orientation virtually in six sessions that will cover various topical areas.
Sessions will be held on every Tuesday from 7-8pm CDT beginning on Tuesday June 23,
2020 and concluding Tuesday July 28, 2020. Please see the schedule below:
- June 23, 2020- Parenting an "Adult in Training": Changing parenting roles and engagement with IWU Presented by Elyse Nelson-Winger, Associate Dean of Students and University Chaplain,
and Brandon Common, Assistant Vice President of Student Affairs.
- June 30, 2020- Transitioning from High School to College: Academic Determination in College Presented by Mark Brodl, Provost and Dean of Faculty; Rebecca Roesner, Associate
Provost; and Chandra Shipley, Director of Academic Advising and Coordinator of Disability
- July 7, 2020- Today's College Campus: Promoting Diverse Citizenship, Health and Safety, and Inclusion Presented by Karla Carney-Hall, Vice President of Student Affairs and Dean of Students.
- July 14, 2020- Life at a Residential University: Engaged Learning in a Living Community Presented by Kyle Griffith ('07), Director of the Office of Residential Life; Doug
Meyer, Associate Director for Housing Operations; and Margaret Schroeder, Area Director.
- July 21, 2020- Involvement vs. Engagement: Facilitating Social Connectedness Presented by Kevin Carey ('13), Director of the Office of Student Involvement; Hannah
Mesouani, Director of the Office of Diversity and Inclusion; and Elyse Nelson-Winger,
Associate Dean of Students and University Chaplain.
- July 28, 2020- Life after IWU: Engaging Early for Career Success Presented by Warren Kistner ('83), Director of the Hart Career Center, and Brian
Richardson ('09) Assistant Director.
We will be taping each session for those unable attend. You can also find additional
information about Family Orientation in our Parent Resources and the Experience IWU Handouts sections.
We look forward to you joining us on campus! If you have questions that are not addressed
in our Frequently Asked Questions, please Contact Us for more information.