The Office of Orientation Services is proud to partner with departments across the IWU campus to bring select incoming students to campus in advance of Turning Titan: New Student Orientation. These three programs are designed to engage students in meaningful discussions and build early connections. While these programs are designed for specified populations, each of our Pre-Orientation programs have cross-over so students are connecting in-group and beyond. Please review each of our programs below. We hope you are able to join us in one of these exciting programs!
MALANA Pre-O (Saturday, August 19 - Monday, August 21, 2017)
MALANA Pre-O allows students from racially underrepresented groups (Multi-racial, African-American, Latino(a), Asian-American, and Native-American) to meet with current upperclassmen, faculty, and administrators who help students learn how to identify and handle the challenges typically encountered in their first year. Collaborative programming will also occur with International first year students and first year students participating in Engaging Diversity.
Space may be limited so apply now for MALANA Pre-O
- Program is free and you get to move in early!
- Meet other multicultural students and develop new friendships.
- Team and community building.
- Participation in interactive informational sessions.
Engaging Diversity (Saturday, August 19 - Monday, August 21, 2017)
Engaging diversity is a program designed for white students who are interested in learning about diversity and social justice in the United States and who are seeking to engage that diversity in their personal and academic lives. If you would like to see some testimonials from the past, you can see them in this video.
Space may be limited so apply now for Engaging Diversity
- Meals and discussions with MALANA and International students
- Exploring diversity and social identities
- Myths and facts about diversity on campus
- Community service
International Student Orientation (August 17 - 21, 2017; Move-in begins August 14th)
Pre-Orientation connects incoming international students with each other, with older students, introduces them to their new home on campus and the Bloomington-Normal community with fun and engaging activities! Student engage with the MALANA and Engaging Diversity incoming students to start their college experience as part of the campus community.
International Orientation is mandatory for all incoming international students.
- Academic Expectations
- Cultural Adjustment
- Mock Class
International Connections (Monday, August 21, 2017)
International Connections is a pre-orientation program created specifically for the roommates of international students. This program will help to engage students in conversations and growth to help support their individual success and enhance their roommate relationship.
*The application for this program will open August 1, 2017.
- Program is free, and participants get to move in a day early at no cost.
- Develop cross-cultural communication skills
- Understand American cultural assumptions and differentiate them from those of other parts of the world
- Meet other roommates of international students
- Socialize with the incoming class of International Students