International Student Admission Requirements
International applicants are eligible for non-binding Early Action, which requires
all application materials to be submitted by November 15th. There is no application fee. The preferred international application deadline for the fall semester is March 15th.
Official, verified copies of test scores, transcripts, and English proficiency results
must be sent by the test agency or by a school counselor/official to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Illinois Wesleyan does not accept these materials directly from students.
Students interested in admission to Illinois Wesleyan University must submit:
- IWU Application or Common Application (there is no fee or preference for either application)
- Official copies of your academic records from all secondary schools and colleges in which you are currently enrolled or have previously attended. Transcripts
should include the most recent 3 years of grades. Academic records need to be in English
- English Proficiency Exam. IELTS, TOEFL, GTEC, Duolingo English Test, or PTE scores are accepted. IWU accepts MyBest scores for the TOEFL, in addition to TOEFL
scores from a single test date. Minimum test scores are required for admission: IELTS
6.5 band score, TOEFL score of 80 iBT (Internet-based), Duolingo English Test score
of 105, PTE score of 56. Scores more than two years old will not be accepted. English
proficiency waivers available if eligible (currently in US for school, coursework
primarily taught in English)
- Family Financial Statement. IWU practices a need-sensitive admissions policy for international students. Upon
meeting the required financial contribution of $15,652 USD per year, applications
are evaluated without further consideration of ability to pay (need-blind).
- Photocopy of your passport in .jpg or .pdf format should be emailed to: email@example.com. Please notify us if you do not have a current passport. This will not delay consideration
of your application for admission.
- Standardized Test Scores. Submit ONE of the following: SAT or ACT.We do not require any SAT Subject Tests.
- Personal Interview (for test optional).
- Age Requirement: Illinois Wesleyan University is a residential campus that requires all students to
live in university housing for their first 3 years. All students living on campus
must be 17 years of age, per our University Housing Policy. Due to this, applicants must turn 17 on or before August 1st of their enrollment
year, if starting during the fall semester, or January 1st of their enrollment year,
if starting during the spring semester.
Optional Supplemental Materials
- One Letter of Recommendation in English from a teacher or counselor who can attest to your academic and English
language abilities in terms of reading comprehension, listening, and speaking.
- Personal statement
Additional Requirements for Specific Programs
School of Art
- If you are planning to pursue the Bachelor of Fine Arts (BFA) degree in the School
of Art, you are required to present a portfolio.
- If you are planning to pursue the Bachelor of Arts (BA) degree in the School of Art,
a portfolio review is not required, but it is an option for talent scholarship consideration.
School of Music
If you are planning to major in music, an audition is required before you can be admitted to the School of Music.
School of Theatre Arts
- All students applying to the School of Theatre Arts are required to submit a theatre
application through Acceptd, regardless of major.
- If you are planning to pursue the Bachelor of Fine Arts (BFA) degree in acting or
musical theatre in the School of Theatre Arts, you are required to submit a pre-screen
and, if approved, audition on campus.
- If you are planning to pursue the Bachelor of Fine Arts (BFA) degree in design & technology
in the School of Theatre Arts, you are required to present a portfolio and interview
on campus with School of Theatre Arts faculty.
- If you are planning to pursue the Bachelor of Arts (BA) degree in theatre arts, you
are required to interview on campus with School of Theatre Arts faculty.
Official copies of test score reports should be sent directly to Illinois Wesleyan
by the respective testing agencies. However, if a copy is mailed or emailed, it must
be certified by a school official as an official copy of the original.
All supportive documentation should be sent to:
Assistant Director for International Admissions
Illinois Wesleyan University
1211 Park Street
Bloomington, IL 61701 U.S.A.