Skip to main content Skip to main navigation Skip to footer content

Break Access

Requesting Access to Stay over Break

Housing is not generally provided for the Thanksgiving break, Winter break, Spring break or May Term break. Halls close for each break and reopen after the break ends.  However, a number of students may have a specific need to remain on campus for all or part of a break period.  Details follow about how a request may be made and permission obtained to remain in housing when the university is closed.

There are several reasons for which permission is granted to student requests to remain in housing during a break period:

  • students whose permanent home is more than 450 miles away from campus
  • students with an essential on-campus job (with confirmation from supervisor)
  • students who have a musical or theatre rehearsal or performance (with confirmation from Director/Professor)
  • students who have an athletic practice or competition (with confirmation from Coach)
  • students with academic commitments (with confirmation from professor)

Permission may also be granted to students who have special or unique circumstances.  Students who believe their request warrants additional consideration should discuss it with their Area Director.

Regardless of circumstance, students must submit an online request through the student's MyHousing portal (click here for assistance) . 

Coaches, faculty or staff who wish to express approval for a student to remain on campus may contact the Office of Residential Life to submit a name or list of names.  However, individual students must also initiate an online request.

Charges may be incurred for the following reasons:

  • Requesting access after the deadline - $50 charge
  • Staying without a valid reason - $50/night charge
  • Students found in residence hall during a break without requesting access or obtaining permission - $50 charge (in addition to per night charge) and a judicial referral may also be made in these cases.  

The following important dates and deadlines related to staying over break should be noted:

Significance Deadline for Thanksgiving Break Deadline for Winter Break Deadline for Spring Break Deadline for May Term Break (between spring close and May Term open). Only student staying for May Term are eligible.

Request break access online in MyHousing by date indicated and if your request is approved:

  • no charge
  • Card Swipe Access will be granted on your ID
Nov. 14 by 8 AM Dec. 8 by 8 AM Mar. 1 by 8 AM Apr. 20 by 8 AM
To request access after the deadline above, contact your Area Director or ORL. Students accounts will be charged a $50 late fee for requesting after the deadline.

How do I request break access?

Requests need to be made online in the student's MyHousing Portal.  After the online form closes, students can make requests through their AD or ORL. 

By when I do need to make a request?

Please check the dates on the on the grid above.

What if my coach/sponsor doesn’t request break access on my behalf?

Students must make their own requests in MyHousing.  Access cannot be requested by a coach or other campus sponsor, but a coach or sponsor may be contacted to confirm.

One of my friends/teammates requested access, can they just let me in?

No. Students must make their own requests in MyHousing. We need to know who is on campus over breaks. A $50 charge will be assessed to students who fail to request permission to remain in residence through a break, and a referral for a violation of the student code of conduct may also be made in these cases.

How do I avoid costs?

Plan ahead and make your request in advance (by the posted deadline) to avoid a charge.

Are residence hall policies in effect during the break period?


In case of emergency over break, who do I contact?

Contact emergency services at 911, campus security at 309/556-1111.

What if damages occur in the hall during the break period?

If damages occur in the hall, and individual will be held accountable for them if one can be identified.  In cases where an individual cannot be identified, all students with a break access will be charged equal shares of the damage cost as per the  residence hall damage policy


If you have additional questions, please contact your Area Director or the Office of Residential Life.

Doug Meyer - Associate Director of Residential Life for Housing Operations

Department - Residence Halls-operations