Skip to main content Skip to main navigation Skip to footer content

Transferring to Illinois Wesleyan

Start your no-fee app today!

Transferring to IWU is now easier than ever before!

Illinois Articulation Initiative logo Illinois Wesleyan participates in the Illinois Articulation Initiative (IAI). If you complete an Associate of Arts Degree (A.A.) at a regionally accredited Illinois community college , Illinois Wesleyan will accept your General Education Core Curriculum (GECC) as meeting IWU’s general education requirements. You'll need to complete your major, graduation and shared curriculum requirements.

Have you previously applied and been admitted? Reactivate your application today!


Transfer students are accepted for the fall or spring semesters only. A formal campus visit is highly recommended to speak with an admission counselor and to assist the admissions committee with its decision.

To apply, complete either our free U.S. domestic student application or Common Application. It is also necessary to submit official transcripts from all colleges previously attended, as well as a final high school transcript before enrollment. 

Our Nursing program has additional requirements which can be found on the School of Nursing & Health Science website

Transfer applicants should have a minimum GPA of 2.5/4.0 from their current academic institution, although it is recommended that students carry a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher to be competitive for admission.

A minimum number of credits are not required in order to transfer. However, no more than 50% of a major or minor may be taken elsewhere. All degree candidates must complete a minimum of 16 courses (2 years) at Illinois Wesleyan.

All students are expected to live in University housing for at least six semesters. Semesters spent living in residence halls, fraternity or sorority chapter houses, or off-campus study programs will accrue towards the six-semester expectation. Students who have accrued six semesters of housing history are eligible to apply to live off-campus. For students who transfer to IWU, the campus housing expectation will be adjusted on a case-by-case basis using academic standing and records of housing history at previous institutions to assist in determining an appropriate and proportionate housing expectation.

Transfer students are eligible to receive both merit-based scholarships and need-based financial aid. Required financial aid applications and forms are evaluated after an admission decision has been made. Students who applied for admission to IWU in previous years must complete a new application when considering a transfer, although personal essays, recommendation letters and ACT or SAT scores can be moved from the old application to the new one. These students must also submit their final high school transcript, college transcripts and confirm their intended major and starting term.

Student reading book and studying on quad.


Students who previously attended Illinois Wesleyan and want to transfer back to the University from another institution should contact the Registrar's Office (309-556-3161) rather than the Admissions Office about re-entering.

Information regarding graduation requirements, general education, majors and minors can be found in the  Illinois Wesleyan University Catalog. Specific questions may be directed to the IWU Registrar’s Office at



For questions about how courses will transfer, contact the Registrar's Office

For all other admissions questions, contact Jasmyn Taylor, Assistant Director of Transfer Admissions and DEI Outreach.

Jasmyn Taylor - Assistant Director of Transfer Admissions & DEI Outreach

Department - Admissions