Tate Archives & Special Collections
Guidelines of Use
Welcome to the Illinois Wesleyan University, Tate Archives & Special Collections, at The Ames Library. The purpose of the archives and special collections is to preserve and maintain the historical records of the University, varied collections of related historical material donated by individuals and organizations, rare books, and to make these materials available for research. In an attempt to achieve these purposes, researchers will be asked to agree to the following rules.
Each researcher must complete a “Researcher Registration” form for every research project in order to identify his/her identity, and to assist the archivist/special collections librarian in locating potentially useful sources. Anonymized data from this form may be used for statistical and research topic summaries.
- All materials must be handled with care. Staff will instruct researchers about proper handling as needed.
- No material may leave the archives & special collections reading room.
- Only pencils or laptop computers may be used for note taking. The use of ink pens is not permitted.
- Smoking, eating, and drinking are not permitted.
- Staff provide copying service; depending on the time and complexity of the request, copies are usually available within one day.
- Sign the “Guest Register” at each subsequent, related visit.
Permission to publish from unpublished material or published works under copyright must first be obtained from the holder of the copyright. It is the researcher’s responsibility to secure that written permission from the copyright holder and provide proof of that written permission to IWU. Permission to reproduce (photocopy) by IWU does not constitute or imply permission to publish.
Detailed information about Image Reproduction & Processing Fees and policies on Creating and Preserving Digital Collections is available.
In citing material located in the archives, the form should be as follows (After identification of the item and title of record group, when applicable): Tate Archives & Special Collections, The Ames Library, Illinois Wesleyan University, Bloomington, Illinois.
Download the Archives Finding Aid (caution: large pdf)
Page of Finding Aids for Special Collections
Return to Tate Archives & Special Collections home
Last updated November 30, 2016