History & Specifications
Illinois Wesleyan University's newspaper The Argus has been published under student
supervision continuously since 1894. For most of that time, it has been a weekly publication.
This digital collection began as a project to preserve and provide access to Argus volumes published from 1894-2003. This site
went live with a browse-by-date interface in May 2003. The Argus preservation project
was funded through grants awarded by Illinois Secretary of State and State Librarian
Jesse White as part of the Illinois Digital Archives database and The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation.
When The Argus started being produced electronically, the editors provided pdfs to
the University Archives as they were sent to the printer. The archives also collects
print copies and binds two volumes at the end of each academic year, delivering one
bound volume back to The Argus office.