Federal Nursing Loan
The Federal Nursing Loan is available to students that have indicated Nursing as their
major and have financial need determined by information reported on the Free Application
for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). This loan uses government funds, but the lender is Illinois Wesleyan University.
The 2020-21 annual limits are $4,816 for Freshman/Sophomores and $7,576 for Juniors/Seniors.
Students are not guaranteed to be awarded these maximum amounts. You can learn more
about these loans by visiting the U.S. Department of Health & Human Services website.
Federal Nursing Student Loan Information:
Dates to Remember
- Student must be enrolled at least half-time
- Student must maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress
- Be a Nursing Major
- Be a U.S. citizen, national, or eligible non-citizen
- Have financial need, as determined by the calculations from information reported on
- Complete your FAFSA application before November 1
- Review and respond to your award proposal after January 1 for incoming students or
after May 1 for returning students
Please note: Federal Nursing Student Loan documents need to be completed through Heartland
ECSI. Please wait for an email from firstname.lastname@example.org and complete the required documents
at that time. These documents will be available in the month of May.
This is required only if the Federal Nursing Student Loan is awarded as part of your
financial aid proposal.
The Federal Nursing Student Loan is a federal loan that functions similar to a Federal
Perkins Loan. To ensure the processing of your Federal Nursing Student Loan, each
year the following items are required and must be completed:
- Accept the Federal Nursing Student Loan - this can be done either online through your MyIWU account, or by returning a signed
copy of your award notice to the Financial Aid Office.
- Master Promissory Note - a document completed online that serves as the application for the loan.
- Private Loan Approval Disclosure - a document that is viewed online, giving you in depth information on the loan awarded
for the academic year.
- Private Loan Self-Certification Form - a document completed online that certifies your enrollment and cost of attendance
- Final Private Loan Disclosure - a document that is viewed online, giving you another look at the information on
the loan awarded for the academic year with the option of canceling the loan.
Heartland ECSI Loan Servicer
IWU is using Heartland ECSI to service our Federal Nursing Loans and IWU Loans.