Skip to main content Skip to main navigation Skip to footer content

General FAQ

What is IWU’s federal school code?

Our school code is 001696.

Do I need to reapply for financial aid each year?

Yes. Federal regulations require that students reapply for federal financial aid each year. The primary reason for this is to ensure that an individual’s eligibility for assistance is based on the most up-to-date income, asset and family information.

What forms are required for financial aid consideration?

FAFSA (Free Application For Federal Student Aid) for all students and Illinois Wesleyan Financial Aid Application OR CSS PROFILE for Returning Students

When do I need to have my financial aid forms submitted?

Our preferential filing date for all students is February 1 for IWU funds.  With the limited resources from the State of Illinois, we would encourage Illinois applicants to complete their FAFSA before March 1.

What is a secure way to send tax documents and other sensitive information?

The Financial Aid Office has a secure fax line which can be used to submit documents that contain sensitive information. Our Fax number is (309) 556-3833. If you do not have easy access to a fax machine, Digital Pigeon is a secure file transfer system for the University. This system, called E-Secure IWU (Digital Pigeon), is used for the transmission of Personally Identifiable Information (PII), including Social Security numbers, private files, and sensitive data. With a Digital Pigeon link sent by one of our employees by email, and a one-time password for accessing it, the recipient can upload files to a secure server for us to view. If one of our employees requests documents that contain sensitive information, a link will be directly sent along with the request. If you have not been in prior contact with an employee, please contact the Financial Aid Office to request a Digital Pigeon link be sent to you.

Can I still apply for financial aid after these dates?

Yes.  Even a late FAFSA applicant can still qualify for certain financial aid programs.

Will Financial Aid require any other forms besides the application and FAFSA?

Sometimes. If you are selected for verification by the Department of Education you will be required to submit verification documents which will be available on our website, for the Financial Aid Office to verify your financial information. You will be notified if this is a requirement however.

When can I expect to receive an award proposal?

As long as the Financial Aid Office has received all requested paperwork and forms, new students can typically expect an award proposal in February. Returning student award proposals are posted starting late May/early June even though the preferential deadline is in February. Our preferential deadline is set according to Illinois state financial program deadlines so students can qualify for these programs if eligible.

I have received a financial aid proposal and have decided to attend IWU, what are my next steps?

First, submit your deposit for enrollment. Click on this New Student Financial Aid Checklist to help understand the steps you may need to complete in the summer.

What is College Illinois?

College Illinois is a 529 pre-paid tuition program started by the state of Illinois. The program is open to all Illinois residents and non-Illinois residents purchasing for Illinois-resident beneficiaries. More information can be found at the College Illinois website.

Who do I contact regarding College Illinois or any other 529, pre-paid tuition plan?

Illinois Wesleyan's Business Office handles all pre-paid tuition programs. You can contact the Assistant Controller at (309) 556-3022 or

Where should I direct questions regarding my statement of account?

Questions regarding your statement of account must be directed to the Business Office.  The Financial Aid Office does not have access to this information. The Business Office can be contacted at (309) 556-3022 or

Will I pay the same tuition amount each year?

No. Historically there has been modest increases each year. In the spring semester, students will receive a notification of the tuition amount for the next academic year.


Loans FAQ

Scholarships and Grants FAQ

Student Employment FAQ

Scott Seibring - Director of Financial Aid

Department - Financial Aid