Skip to main content Skip to main navigation Skip to footer content

Scholarships & Grants FAQ

How does your outside scholarship policy work? 

Notification of all scholarships received from outside sources are to be sent to the financial aid office and will be counted as part of your financial aid package. Any IWU scholarships and grants you may have been awarded will not be affected unless the total of your scholarships exceed your demonstrated need and tuition and fees. Outside scholarship monies will be used to reduce any unmet need you may have. Once unmet need has been met, the scholarships will be used to reduce loans first and student employment last.

How does the Study Abroad policy work and will my financial aid transfer? 

The Study Abroad Office maintains a web site that discusses Study Abroad Policies and information regarding Financial Aid, costs and scholarships. Please visit their site here: for more complete information.

I have seen information about a Jennings Scholarship for non-Music majors. Can you tell me more about this?

The School of Music offers a scholarship to students who are interested in Music but who are not intending to make it their major. Please refer to for more information on how to audition for a Jennings Scholarship. If you are chosen to receive a Jennings Scholarship you and your ensemble director will be required to sign a verification form indicating that you are participating. This form is required every semester to maintain the scholarship. If you choose not to participate in any part of the program, the scholarship is lost for the remainder of your semesters at IWU.

How many units do I need to take to be considered full-time for financial aid purposes? 

For all institutional and federal student aid you are required to be enrolled in at least 3 units per semester. For the State of Illinois Monetary Award Program (MAP) Grant you are required to be enrolled in at least 3.75 units each semester.

Where can I search for private scholarships? 

While there are many options, is one of the leading free scholarship services.

Do I need to apply for my IWU grant each year? 

You do need to apply for financial aid each year in order to receive your grant from IWU. This is a need-based grant and the amount of the grant can change from year to year based on the financial situation of your family.

Are IWU Alumni Scholarships ever reevaluated?  If I maintain a high GPA could my scholarship be increased? 

When a student applies to IWU, the Admissions Office determines if the student is eligible for a Merit-based scholarship and in what amount based on high school GPA and results from the SAT or ACT. This amount is not adjusted from year to year and cannot be reevaluated. The IWU Alumni Scholarship is guaranteed each year as long as a 3.0 or above GPA is maintained.

As a Veteran of Armed Services, what are my financial aid options? 

If you served on Active Duty, you might be eligible for education benefits offered by the Department of Veterans Affairs. For example, the Post-9/11 GI Bill® provided financial support for educational and housing expenses to individuals with at least 90 days of aggregate service after September 10, 2001, or individuals discharged with a service-connected disability after 30 days.  You must have received an honorable discharge to be eligible for the Post-9/11 GI Bill®.

If you are currently serving in the military, you may be eligible for funding offered through the Department of Defense Tuition Assistance program. Check your eligibility status and the amount for which you qualify with your Service prior to enrolling. 

If you are the spouse or child of a service member who is serving on active duty Title 10 orders in the paygrades of E1-E5, O1-O2, or W1-W2, you may be eligible for financial assistance from the Department of Defense for education, training, and/or the occupational license and credentials necessary for a portable career. 

If you are the spouse or child of a service member, you may be eligible for transfer of the service member's Post-9/11 GI Bill® benefits to you.
GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at

If I am eligible for U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) Post 9/11 G.I. Bill® (Ch. 33) or Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment (Ch. 31) benefits will I have any penalties while the payment from the United States Department of Veterans Affairs is pending? 

IWU will not: prevent enrollment; assess a late penalty fee, require additional funding to cover this pending payment, deny access to any resources (access to classes, libraries, or other institutional facilities) available to other students who have satisfied their tuition and fee bills to the institution. However, to qualify for this provision an eligible student must provide the VA’s Certificate of Eligibility by the first day (a month in advance would be preferred) of class to the financial aid office,provide a written request to be certified;and provide any other information needed to certify your enrollment.
GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at

General FAQ

Loans FAQ

Student Employment FAQ

Scott Seibring - Director of Financial Aid

Department - Financial Aid