Initial Endorsement

An endorsement is a teaching field indicated on a Professional Educator License (PEL). The initial endorsement will be the major field of study in which one completes an approved program. The initial PEL serves as a foundation to which any teaching endorsement can be added. 

*****Please note if transferring any courses that count for endorsements (initial and subsequent), the Assistant Director of Teacher Licensure will need official copies of all transcripts*****email - bwells@iwu.edu


Subsequent Endorsements

Subsequent content area endorsements can be added at any grade level even if the underlying teaching endorsement on the PEL is a different grade range.

In general, subsequent endorsements require:

  • 18 hours of 100 level coursework from a regionally accredited college or university. *Some content area endorsements require specific coursework defined by ISBE.
  • A passing score on the appropriate content test.
  • Grade of C- or higher in endorsement coursework.

Science and Social Science Exception:

  • Individuals who hold a PEL in any senior high science or social science may add additional senior high endorsements in the same subject (i.e., science or social science) by completing 12 semester hours of content specific coursework (grade of C- or better) OR by passing the applicable content area test. 

List of ISBE Initial and Subsequent Endorsements

The IWU Assistant Director of Teacher Licensure can add subsequent endorsements to the initial PEL at the time of graduation. If after graduation, there is a $50.00 fee for each endorsement.  Contact your local Regional Office of Education (ROE) at https://www.isbe.net/Pages/contact-licensure.aspx to add the endorsement OR add the endorsement through your ELIS account.

Commonly Held Endorsements

Middle Grade Endorsement (5-8)

Reading Teacher Endorsement (PK-12)


Additional Endorsement information


See ISBE for most up-to-date information about Endorsements.