Skip to main content Skip to main navigation Skip to footer content

Undecided FAQs

Q: Are there majors that I won’t be able to enter if I don’t declare right away?
A: Education/Teaching, Nursing, Bachelor of Fine Arts as well as licensed fields and pre-professional have a set curriculum designed for all four years of your time at IWU. Consult with the Chair of the Department you want to enter to discuss your options.

Q: When do I have to declare my major?
A: You can declare your major at any time. You do not have to declare a major until your sophomore year. When you are ready to declare a major, you will change advisors to a faculty member from your academic discipline.

Q: Do students change their major more than once?
A: You can change your major more than once. Talk with your advisor about your interests and your options. 


There are many resources designed just for Undeclared majors. We hope you will use this advice from advising, the FOCUS assessment with the Hart Career Center, and tips for major & minor exploration


Questions about advising and being an Undeclared major? Contact any of these staff members: 

Shari Rich

Shari Rich

Director of Academic Advising
Deborah Halperin

Deborah Halperin

Director of the Center for Engaged Learning
Kelly Bay

Kelly Bay

Associate Director of the Career Center