To minor in Creative Writing, six course units selected from the departmental offerings are required:

  1. One lower division creative writing course (English 101, 201202, 206)
  2. One upper division creative writing course (English 301)
  3. One additional creative writing course at the 200 or 300 level.  THEA 341 or 342, as well, may fulfill this requirement. (English  301  may be repeated for credit with different subject matter)

  4. English 280 Understanding Literature
  5. Two additional courses in literature 
  6. With regard to the requirements listed above, of the total number of course, only one course at the 100 level may count toward the minor, and at least two must be at the 300 level or above.

For more information on requirements for the minor, please refer to the University’s catalog or our Creative Writing Checklist.

Declaring the Creative Writing Minor

To declare English as your minor you will need to go to the Registrar’s Office (Holmes Hall 110) and fill out the proper Minor Declaration form.  You will also need to fill out a pink Declaration form at the English House for record in the English Database.