Wireless/Connectivity Allowance Policy
Any employee required to use a personal wireless telecommunication device or internet connectivity in fulfillment
of their job responsibilities may be provided a monthly allowance.
Guidelines for Eligibility
Vice Presidents will annually review positions within their area to determine eligibility
for this policy. Any active employee whose position meets the eligibility requirements
may receive the allowance under this policy.
- Employees who have a regular need to work remotely either on or off campus.
- Employees who are required to use data from a mobile device or use University approved
applications “in the field”.
- Employees who are considered on-call for after-hours response.
- Employees who are required to have connectivity to perform duties from home.
Eligible expenses include:
- Cell phone data plans if a cell phone is required to perform job responsibilities.
- Home internet bills if working from home is required to perform job responsibilities.
- All eligible employees will be paid $25.00 per month for each approved plan.
- Payment of the allowance will be on the first paycheck of each month. It is not considered
income and will not be subject to payroll tax.
Selection of a personal wireless device, service plan and all interaction with the
service provider, are the responsibility of the employee. The University cannot guarantee
the wireless device allowance will continue for the duration of the employee’s wireless
device service contract. The allowance may be discontinued if the employee’s job responsibilities
Policy Director Responsibilities:
- Coordinate annual review of employee eligibility under policy.
- Maintenance of completed reimbursement forms.
- Provide forms to Payroll office for payroll reimbursement.
- Assist Vice Presidents and Supervisors with questions in determining eligibility.
For Employees being added to the policy:
- Supervisor should provide new employee with Wireless/Connectivity Allowance Request form to complete. Include supporting documents if necessary. Supervisor must sign and
forward on to Departmental VP for final approval. The approved form will be submitted
to Payroll office.
- Payment of the allowance will begin with the next scheduled pay date in compliance
with current payroll deadlines.
For Current Employees eligible under the Policy:
- Supervisors will need to review all allowances annually with Department VPs to determine
if the allowance should continue.
- Allowance forms for all eligible employees must be completed, signed and forwarded
to the Payroll office each year by June 30th
- Failure to submit forms by June 30th
to the Payroll office may result in forfeiture of allowance.
For Current Employees No longer eligible under the Policy:
Supervisors will need to complete an allowance form notifying the Payroll Office to terminate the allowance.