Applying for Admission
Looking to apply to become part of Illinois Wesleyan's incoming class of 2023?
If so, you've come to right place! At IWU, we don't charge an application fee. IWU is also test optional.
All completed applications will be reviewed individually.You can find basic admission criteria and requirements here.
Students interested in admission to Illinois Wesleyan University must submit:
- One of the following applications (one application is not preferred over another):
- Transcripts for all previous high school and/or college coursework
- International students whose first or native language is not English are still required to complete the English Proficiency Exam requirement as mentioned above.
For those who prefer a paper application, a printable version of the application is available here.
Early Action (non-binding)
Students who submitted all required application materials by November 15th are eligible for consideration. Early Action decisions are sent out between November 15th and December 15th. Students admitted under Early Action still have until May 1st to make a college selection. Some students who apply under Early Action may be deferred to the Regular Decision process to allow the Admissions Committee to request and consider updated information.
Students can submit an application under Regular Decision at any time. Decisions for students applying under Regular Decision are mailed after December 15th.
Optional Supplemental Materials
- Letters of Recommendation
- Personal Statement
Additional Requirements for Specific Programs
School of Art
- If you are planning to pursue the Bachelor of Fine Arts (BFA) degree in the School of Art, you are required to present a portfolio.
- If you are planning to pursue the Bachelor of Arts (BA) degree in the School of Art, a portfolio review is not required, but it is an option for talent scholarship consideration.
School of Music
If you are planning to major in music, an audition is required before you can be admitted to the School of Music.
School of Nursing
If you are planning to major in nursing, you must either submit SAT or ACT scores or interview with our School of Nursing.
School of Theatre Arts
- All students applying to the School of Theatre Arts are required to submit a theatre application through Acceptd, regardless of major.
- If you are planning to pursue the Bachelor of Fine Arts (BFA) degree in acting or musical theatre in the School of Theatre Arts, you are required to submit a pre-screen and, if approved, audition on campus.
- If you are planning to pursue the Bachelor of Fine Arts (BFA) degree in design & technology in the School of Theatre Arts, you are required to present a portfolio and interview on campus with School of Theatre Arts faculty.
- If you are planning to pursue the Bachelor of Arts (BA) degree in theatre arts, you are required to interview on campus with School of Theatre Arts faculty.
Recommended Admission Criteria
- Fifteen (15) academic units within the areas of English, foreign language, mathematics, laboratory science and social science.
- A cumulative grade-point average of a B or higher.