Registered Student Organizations
Interested in Starting a New RSO?
There are currently over 100 Registered Student Organizations (RSOs) on campus! Prior
to starting a new RSO, review the RSOs that are currently on campus to see if there
is a group that aligns with your desired involvement.
Student organizations must do the following to become a Registered Student Organization
- Schedule a meeting with the Office of Student Involvement to discuss your plans and
ideas for your organization.
- Ensure you have a minimum of three executive board members (IWU students) who are
invested in the success of the RSO.
- Find a current IWU faculty or staff member to serve as the RSO's faculty or staff
advisor. It is the RSO student leader/contact person’s responsibility to find an
advisor and to maintain contact with that person.
- As a group, the potential new RSO should meet and develop a Mission Statement or if
affiliated with a national organization review that mission statement or constitution.
- Submit this online form. Be sure to upload your mission statement or constitution.
- Attend the Student Senate RSO training or meet with the Student Senate executive board
(if group is formed after the RSO training in August)
An email will be sent out notifying the group of their new status as Registered Student
Any time during the process organizations are welcome to visit the Office of Student Involvement
located in the Hansen Student Center or email email@example.com with questions.
You may also find helpful information for your RSO on the RSO Resource page.
Why Become a Registered Student Organization?
When your organization becomes an official Registered Student Organization at IWU,
it is eligible to receive certain benefits. These benefits include:
- Funding from Student Senate
- Reserving space and resources for your organization's meetings, events and activities
- Reserving and using university vehicles
- Business office account for holding funds received from dues, membership fees, etc.
- Notification of leadership development opportunities for your organization's leaders
- Assistance with promoting your organization and guidance on planning events and activities
(i.e., RSO Fair)