Electrical Technician – Physical Plant
This full-time position assists the Electrician with the installation and maintenance
of electrical power systems. Daily job duties and responsibilities include examining
electrical units for loose connections, measuring and cutting wires and conduits,
performing electrical maintenance and repairs, and drilling holes for electrical hookups.
Working on fire alarm systems and helping with sound set ups.
- Under the supervision of the electrician, install and maintain controls and lighting
systems. Inspect electrical components, such as transformers and circuit breakers.
Identify electrical problems with a variety of testing devices. Repair or replace
wiring, equipment, or fixtures using hand tools and power tools. Troubleshoot and
program VFD controllers. Troubleshoot scoreboards and lighting systems with solid-state
components. Work with voltage up to 470V. May respond to after-hour emergencies.
- Maintain and repair life safety devices. Includes service, testing, programming and
troubleshooting on fire alarm systems, exit signs and emergency lights. May respond
to after-hour emergencies.
- Maintenance and troubleshooting of low-voltage specialty systems. This includes campus
clock system, sound systems, and control systems. Work under supervision of electrician
to install, repair and replace data and communications cabling; including, fiber optic
cables, coaxial and CAT 5 and 6 cables.
Requirements and Knowledge
- Electrical license or equivalent certification preferred.
- Associate’s Degree, vocational or technical school preferred.
- Minimum of 3 years work related experience.
- Awareness of and adherence to safety protocols are of paramount importance.
- Physically able to climb stairs and ladders, often with equipment. Routinely lift
and carry 15-50lbs, occasionally 75-100lbs; occasional bending, stooping, overhead
twisting and torque work.
- Possess ability to work with electricity up to 470 volts.
- This position requires an on-call rotation among crew members.
To apply, please download an application at www.iwu.edu/human-resources/Positions.html. Position is open until filled, however, for full consideration, please apply by
November 6, 2019.
Illinois Wesleyan University
Human Resources, Holmes 209
1312 Park Street
Bloomington, Il 61701
The final candidate will pass a pre-employment background investigation.
Illinois Wesleyan University’s sexual harassment and sexual misconduct policy may
be accessed at https://www.iwu.edu/human-resources/SexualMisconductPolicy.html
Illinois Wesleyan University is an Equal Opportunity Employer Committed to Inclusive
Excellence; details at www.iwu.edu/diversity