Dean of Students for Inclusion and Advocacy
Founded in 1850, Illinois Wesleyan University (IWU) is an independent, residential, Liberal Arts University with roughly 1,600 students. Nestled between three metropolitan areas (Chicago, St. Louis, MO, Indianapolis, IN), the Bloomington-Normal community is home to four institutions of higher education, numerous eateries, fun activities, and civic engagement opportunities. Through the promotion and affirmation of diversity in all its forms, IWU provides an exceptional educational experience while building a campus environment that prepares students for leadership in a global society after graduation.
The University’s Division of Student Affairs invites applications for the full-time position of Dean of Students for Inclusion and Advocacy. This position serves a critical student advocacy and support role for all students. The Dean leads diversity and inclusion initiatives by supervising the Office of Diversity and Inclusion, Multifaith Engagement, sexual assault prevention education and awareness programs and serves as a key leader in the University Council on Diversity (UCD). With retention in mind, the Dean provides a support and advocacy network for students and parents by responding to individual crises, coordinating withdrawals/leaves of absence, and leading the Student Success Team. Staff members within Student Affairs are expected to practice principles of social justice and inclusion in working in an office that serves students from different racial, ethnic, and religious backgrounds, and who have various sexual orientations, gender identities, and ability statuses.
- Retention-centered student advocacy work:
- Coordinate student support and advocacy for students and parents in individual crisis
- Coordinate withdrawals/exit interviews and monitor leaves of absence for health and mental health reasons
- Lead the Student Success Team which includes coordinated response regarding early alert/student needs/concerns
- Serve on Retention Task Force
- Campus-wide diversity leadership:
- Supervise the Director of the Offices of Diversity and Inclusion and the Chaplain/Multifaith Engagement
- Chair the Intercultural Fluency Committee that provides professional development related to diversity for faculty/staff
- Coordinate the mandatory education requirement for diversity/inclusion for students, faculty and staff (Everfi module)
- Assist with coordinating the efforts of the UCD, including the production of the annual progress report
- Coordinate bias incident reporting process
- Sexual Assault Advocacy:
- Serve as the Title IX Deputy Coordinator for students, including in-take, interim measures, and general advocacy. As part of advocacy work, provide leadership for the Sexual Assault Prevention Task Force and other educational outreach efforts
- Partner with Athletics and fraternity and Sorority life to fulfill training mandates
- Educationally collaborative initiatives; coordinate annual theme work and promotion
- A Master's degree is required, preferably in the areas of higher education administration, college student affairs, counseling or a related field; PhD/EdD is preferred.
- Minimum of eight years related experience in higher education, and a history of progressive leadership experience
- Knowledge of higher education, college student development, compliance regarding Title IX and other student conduct policies.
- Comprehensive knowledge of student development theories, concepts and practices especially related to identity development; critical race theory; faith development
Please submit a cover letter, resume, the names and contact information for three professional references and a one-page diversity statement describing your commitment to and experience with diversity and inclusion in higher education. Review of applications will begin January 22; position is open until filled.
Illinois Wesleyan University
Human Resources, Holmes 209
1312 N. Park Street
Bloomington, IL 61701
The final candidate will pass a pre-employment background investigation.
Illinois Wesleyan University is committed to recruiting, supporting, and fostering a diverse, inclusive, and civil community of outstanding faculty, staff, and students. We seek candidates who have a demonstrated commitment to supporting and further building our community in these dimensions. Illinois Wesleyan University is an EEO Employer. Illinois Wesleyan University’s sexual misconduct policy may be accessed at www.iwu.edu/human-resources/SexualMisconductPolicy.html. Illinois Wesleyan University is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusive excellence; details at www.iwu.edu/diversity.