2022-23 Visiting Librarian
Illinois Wesleyan University
Illinois Wesleyan University's The Ames Library invites applications for a visiting 9-month faculty position as Visiting Librarian as a sabbatical replacement with a start date of August 1, 2022.
IWU is a nationally ranked, fully accredited undergraduate university with 1640 students that provides the highest quality liberal arts education. The Ames Library offers a learning environment that is conducive to interaction, consultation, study, and reflection, and is dedicated to serving the scholarly needs of the Illinois Wesleyan University community. Opened in 2002, the library holds a diverse and strong print and digital collection and several media studios for students and faculty. Collocated within the library are three of our partners: the Writing Center | Tutoring Services, the Action Research Center, and members of Information Technology Services.
This position offers an excellent opportunity for an individual at any stage of their career seeking experience in academic libraries at a small liberal arts college. The successful candidate will have an opportunity to be involved in many aspects of academic library work. The position provides access to professional development funding and, as a library, we prioritize the growth of all staff.
The responsibilities of this full-time position include the following:
- Collaborate with students and faculty of academic departments in discovery and use of scholarly resources and technologies
- Teach sessions on information discovery, appropriate use of scholarly literature, source evaluation, and academic integrity
- Develop and maintain web-based materials to support and supplement these collections and services
- Develop collections in assigned subject areas
- Help library patrons with information needs in other subject areas on an individual basis.
- Participation in or individual responsibility for special projects, e.g., assessment, web design, exhibits, outreach, and more.
- ALA-accredited MLS
- Ability to work well independently and collaboratively with others in a rapidly changing environment, including remotely when required
- Familiarity with and/or experience teaching the practices and methods of information literacy instruction
- Enthusiasm, collegiality, and excellent communication skills
Any relevant equivalence in education, experience, or training that provides the necessary skills, abilities, and knowledge will be considered.
The final candidate will pass a pre-employment background investigation. Per the Governor's August 26, 2021 Executive Order regarding COVID-19 vaccination, personnel in the higher education setting will need to either provide proof of vaccination, or apply for a medical/disability or religious exemption. All those not fully vaccinated will be required to participate in weekly COVID testing. For the latest IWU COVID policies and protocols see: https://www.iwu.edu/updates/coronavirus/.
Illinois Wesleyan University is committed to recruiting, supporting, and fostering a diverse, inclusive, and civil community of outstanding faculty, staff, and students. We seek candidates who have a demonstrated commitment to supporting and further building our community in these dimensions. Illinois Wesleyan University is an EEO Employer. Illinois Wesleyan University’s sexual misconduct policy may be accessed at www.iwu.edu/human-resources/SexualMisconductPolicy.html. Illinois Wesleyan University is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusive excellence; details at https://www.iwu.edu/non-discrimination.html.
To apply, please submit the following to Katy Ritter, email@example.com:
- A cover letter addressing qualifications
- A curriculum vitae
- A clear statement about how you as an academic librarian can, or have, addressed issues of race, gender, sexual orientation, disability, and/or other issues of historical marginalization in your work with students, faculty and staff and/or in your own academic preparation.
- Contact information for three professional references
The deadline for applications is June 1, 2022. Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
Salary and Benefits:
Competitive salary and benefits offered. An overview of IWU’s benefits can be found here: https://www.iwu.edu/human-resources/current-employees.html
Questions may be directed to: