Physics majors at Illinois Wesleyan complete a variety of impressive summer internships,
at times approaching 100% placement. Browse our comprehensive lists from recent years:
- Jack Davine '22 worked on robotic jellyfish at the Institute for Sensing and Embedded
Network Systems at Florida Atlantic University.
- Yossif Elmadny '22, Katie North '21, Valeria Viteri-Pflucker ’22, Joe Ziegel '19,
Suzanne Zhang '20 worked as research assistants at Illinois Wesleyan University where
they conducted research on laser-matter interactions with Prof. Bruno deHarak.
- Zhenguo (Sherman) Sun '21completed a research internship at Qinghua University, where
he worked on Machine Learning for facial recognition systems, which combined software
modeling with Optical Systems.
- Sam Nam '19 was an Eckley Scholar, Suzanne Zhang '20 was a Murphy Fellow, and Binh
Phan '19 was a research assistant working on the study of cosmic dust analogues, with
Prof. Thushara Perera, at IWU.
- Krystyna Lopez '17 was a Murphy Fellow working on the study of cosmic dust analogues,
with Prof. Thushara Perera, at IWU.
During the spring semester we had two students working on engineering internships:
- Kyle Moody '17 worked as a Traffic Engineer Intern for the City of Bloomington.
- Adam Muellers '17 worked as a Sales Engineer/Intern for Air Management Products Company.
As usual, our physics students worked on a broad range of projects during their summer
2016 internships of various kinds, at research universities, government labs, private
companies, or on campus.
- Morgan Bishop '18 worked at 4 Seasons Health Club as swim coach and swim instructor.
- Hank Bolon '18 worked at the governors club in Chapel Hill, North Carolina as the
- Emily Brown '17 worked at the Illinois Environmental Protection Agency in Springfield,
IL through the Governors Environmental Corps internship. I worked jointly with the
Office of Community Relations and the environmental education coordinator on the "Jr.
GEC" summer camp outreach and on posters and activities for the IEPA IL State Fair
- Andy Ding'17 worked at Harvard University, John A. Paulson School of Engineering and
Applied Sciences, in their Research Experience for Undergraduates (REU) program.
- Brannan Hutchinson '18 worked at Barnes-Jewish Hospital observing a cardiac anesthesiologist.
- Dino Karas '17 worked at Fermi Lab National Accelerator Laboratory on the Muon to
Eon (Mu2e) project with Mechanical Engineers, Cryogenic Engineers and Engineering
- Lunjun (Simon) Liu ‘17 worked at the Caltech SURF program, in TIME-Pilot group, physics
department, to study the epoch of reionization.
- Krystyna Lopez '17 took a Ukrainian language course at Ukrainian Catholic University.
- Matt McGill '17 worked at the University of Kentucky as a research assistant in an
atomic physics lab.
- Adam Muellers '16 worked at Air Management Products and aided in the selection and
design of HVAC systems for commercial and industrial buildings.
- Tim Smyk '18 worked at Morris Business and Technology Center as a maintenance worker
on various projects around the building.
- Troy Southard '16 worked at Elkay manufacturing as an electrical engineering intern
on the next generation bottle-filling units and improving manufacturing processes
using Labview programming.
- Rachel Westerkamp '18 worked for Wright Patterson Air Force Base as an ATR Center
Intern on a project called "Using Convolutional Neural Networks for SAR feature extraction."
- Boyang Zhou' 17 worked at Detroit University as a researcher on Magnetic Hyperthermia.
A large fraction of our physics majors are doing exciting research work during this
All five faculty members in the department have students working on research projects
Here is a brief description of the various projects that our physics majors are working
on during their summer internships of various kinds, on campus, and at other research
universities, government labs, or private companies.
- Kyle Connour '15 is working on Trojan asteroids, with IWU Prof. Linda French, at the
Observatario Cerro Tellolo, Chile.
- Brian Kim '15 is working on laser-assisted electron scattering experiments, with IWU
Prof. Bruno deHarak, at the University of Kentucky.
- Margaret McCarter '15 is doing a research internship, working in the tribology group
at Argonne National Laboratory, Argonne, IL.
- Joe Richards '16 is working on fabricating nanovaterite particles and using a combination
of acoustic and optical techniques for laser trapping in resonant structures, with
IWU Prof. Gabe Spalding, at St. Andrews University, Scotland.
- Hayley Roberts '16 is doing an REU research internship at the University of Colorado,
- Kyle O'Shea '16, Fiona Breyer '17 and Lunjun Liu '17 are working on
setting up an experiment for the study of cosmic dust analogues, with IWU Prof. Thushara Perera, at IWU.
- James Connolly '17 is working as a manufacturing engineer intern at GKN, in Woodridge, IL.
- Toan Le '17 is working with a spatial light modulator to compensate for scattering
inside some exotic complex fluids, with IWU Prof. Gabe Spalding, at IWU.
- Maxwell Leonard '17, a physics economics double major, is working in the financial planning and analysis department at State Farm.
- Matthew McGill '17, 2015 Bill Murphy Scholar, is working on chemical oscillations
and waves, with IWU Prof. Narendra Jaggi, at IWU.
- Jake Nave '17 is doing glass research in an (industry) internship at Johnson Matthey Noble Metals.
- Julia Savich '17 is doing an REU research internship, involving forest bioproducts
research, at the University of Maine-Orono.
- Ruomeng Zhang'1 7 is doing an REU research internship, on solar technologies, with
Prof. Greg Scholes at Princeton University. (http://chemistry.princeton.
- Vasil Kukushliev '18 is doing an REU research internship at the University of Texas at Brownsville.