Breakthrough Moments to be Featured at TEDxIWU Event
Dec. 18, 2017
BLOOMINGTON, Ill.— Illinois Wesleyan University will host the inaugural TEDxIWU event on its campus Feb. 2, 2018. Designed to highlight the innovative spirit of the Bloomington-Normal area, the event will bring together IWU students, faculty, staff, alumni and local community members to share their best ideas.
Interested attendees must apply to participate in the limited-space TEDxIWU event. Reservations are available at www.iwu.edu/tedx. This event – which runs from 4 p.m. until 8 p.m. in the Hansen Student Center (300 E. Beecher Street, Bloomington) – is free and open to the public.
Innovators scheduled to appear at TEDxIWU include:
- Teresa Banks '13, M.S., CSCS, CFSC, Founder/Owner of TBFit, LLC, Health and Fitness Community Activist, Go Infinite Chicago
- Lucy Bullock '17, Child & Family Advocate at McLean County Children's Advocacy Center
- Lily Chang '18, economics & international business double major
- Dr. Brandon Common, Assistant Vice President of Student Affairs (IWU)
- Michael Gorman '10, Senior Web Developer (IWU), Bike BloNo Board Member, Green Top Grocery Board Member
- Dr. Narendra K. Jaggi, Professor of Physics (IWU)
- Kim Kaufman, Social Media Specialist at State Farm Insurance Co., Communication Consultant/Public Speaker at Kim Presents, Public Relations Society of America-Central Illinois Board Member, Toastmasters International member
- Matt LaLonde '14, Senior Associate at KPMG US
- Kelly Mathy, Sociology Instructor (IWU), Washington Elementary School Vice Principal, Owner of Kelly's Bakery & Cafe and The Decorator's Grocery
- Reverend Elyse Nelson Winger, University Chaplain (IWU)
- Crystal Ocampo-Fernandez '18, International Studies major, Russian Language & Literature minor
- Grace Sheese, Art Instructor (IWU), Bloom Community School 4th-6th Grade Teacher
- Melanie Shellito '92, Owner of Artezen LLC, Branding Professional, Green Top Grocery Board Member
- Isaac Simmons '20, political science major
- Marc Talluto '94, CEO of Fruition Partners
Bevin Choban '10, Action Research Center Coordinator, is organizing the event along with a team of campus leaders. ARC spearheads campus-community innovation, so TEDx grew from ongoing courses and projects.
“When ARC works with IWU students, either in the classroom or in the community, we often turn to impactful TED talks to illustrate the power of people who have positively impacted their neighborhoods and cities,” said Choban. “Over time, we came to realize we could fill a TEDx stage with the innovative ideas of the faculty, students, staff, alumni and community partners we work with every day. We are thrilled to be making this a reality, and IWU is the perfect backdrop for such an event.”
To reserve your free ticket and to learn more about this event, visit the TEDxIWU website, www.iwu.edu/tedx. Follow updates on TEDxIWU via the Illinois Wesleyan University Action Research Center Facebook page.
TED is a nonprofit organization devoted to Ideas Worth Spreading, usually in the form of short, powerful talks (18 minutes or fewer) delivered by today's leading thinkers and doers. Many of these talks are given at TED's annual conference in Vancouver, British Columbia, and made available, free, on TED.com. TED speakers have included Bill Gates, Jane Goodall, Elizabeth Gilbert, Sir Richard Branson, Monica Lewinsky, Philippe Starck, Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala, Sal Khan and Daniel Kahneman.
TED's open and free initiatives for spreading ideas include TED.com, where new TED Talk videos are posted daily; the Open Translation Project, which provides subtitles and interactive transcripts as well as translations from thousands of volunteers worldwide; the educational initiative TED-Ed; the annual million-dollar TED Prize, which funds exceptional individuals with a "wish," or idea, to create change in the world; TEDx, which provides licenses to thousands of individuals and groups who host local, self-organized TED-style events around the world; and the TED Fellows program, which selects innovators from around the globe to amplify the impact of their remarkable projects and activities.
In the spirit of ideas worth spreading, TEDx is a program of local, self-organized events that bring people together to share a TED-like experience. At a TEDx event, TEDTalks video and live speakers combine to spark deep discussion and connection in a small group. These local, self-organized events are branded TEDx, where x=independently organized TED event. The TED Conference provides general guidance for the TEDx program, but individual TEDx events are self-organized.
*This independent TEDx event is operated under license from TED.