Garcia Receives Starkey Service Award
Aug. 23, 2013
BLOOMINGTON, Ill.— Angel Garcia is the 2013 winner of the Max L. Starkey Service Award
at Illinois Wesleyan University. The announcement was made by President Richard F.
Wilson at the Fall Breakfast held today in the Young Main Lounge of Memorial Center.
The Starkey Award, established in 2001, is presented to a member of the University
staff nominated by his or her peers for extraordinary service to Illinois Wesleyan.
It is named in honor of the late Max Starkey, a 1957 IWU graduate who was the University
comptroller from 1957 to 1996.
Garcia, a resident of Normal, is a veteran custodian of over twenty years for IWU’s
Shirk Center. His co-workers and many members of the IWU community have taken note
of his dedication to his job and his commitment to being friendly and going the extra
mile to make IWU a better place.
The Starkey Committee that selected Garcia consists of former Illinois Wesleyan staff
and faculty. The committee members are:
- Bob Mowery, professor emeriti of the library (Sheean)
- Betty Hornbrook, former office coordinator II, MCLL, Hispanic Studies
- Christine Wilson, former senior administrative assistant, Advancement Office
- John Westall, former faculty at The Ames Library
- Todd Tucker, associate professor emeritus of the School of Music
- Delores Helm, former director of Arnold Health Services
Dana Starkey '94 and Tina Starkey Swingler '97 were also involved in the committee's
determination of the winner.
Previous honorees include:
- 2001 Roger Brucker, Physical Plant office manager
- 2002 Jeanne Johnson, Information Technology director of administrative systems
- 2003 Jenny Hand, Mellon Center senior administrative assistant
- 2004 Delores Helm, Arnold Health Services director
- 2005 Warren Johnson, Physical Plant assistant manager of maintenance services
- 2006 Leanne Cox, Registrar associate
- 2007 Lynn Nichelson, Financial Aid director
- 2008 Judy Huff, Center for Natural Science senior office coordinator
- 2009 Roy Bailey, Information Technology senior desktop support specialist
- 2010 Tony Heaton, The Ames Library circulation services manager
- 2011 Eric Nelson, Physical Plant manager of grounds services
- 2012 Patrick McLane, Information Technology instructional technologist
Contact: Hannah Dhue ’15 (309) 556-3181, email@example.com