Board of Trustees Names New Members, Re-Elects Officers
May 30, 2013
BLOOMINGTON, Ill.— At Illinois Wesleyan University’s final Board of Trustees meeting for the 2012-13 academic year that took place on May 10, four new members were named, two current members moved into new roles, officers were elected for the coming year and emeritus status was conferred upon three outgoing trustees.
Following are the new trustees and those moving into new roles on the University’s board. See the complete list of trustees.
- Ceasar Douglas ’75, of Tallahasse, Fla., currently serves as chair and Jim Moran Associate Professor of Management in the College of Business at Florida State University. Douglas previously served as an Alumni Association Trustee. He was a biology major at Illinois Wesleyan, earned an MBA from Grand Valley State University in Michigan and holds a Ph.D. in business administration from the University of Mississippi. While a student, Douglas earned all-conference honors in football, was a member of the Student Senate and participated in WESN radio.
- Marsha Guenzler-Stevens ’78, of Stevenson, Md., is the director of the Adele H. Stamp Student Union-Center for Campus Life at the University of Maryland. The past president of the Alumni Association, Guenzler-Stevens is completing a three-year term as an ex-officio trustee and will now serve the Board as the Alumni Association Trustee. She was a biology major at Illinois Wesleyan and earned a doctoral degree in higher education administration, policy and planning from the University of Maryland. Among her numerous contributions to the University, Guenzler-Stevens was instrumental in establishing the IWU Council for Women, serving as its president for six years.
- Vaughn Hoffman, of Bloomington, is senior pastor of Wesley United Methodist Church. He is a graduate of Illinois State University and the Iliff School of Theology in Denver. Hoffman served congregations in Colorado prior to returning to Bloomington in 2004. He also serves as chair of the Illinois Great Rivers Conference Board in Ordained Ministry and has been an adjunct faculty member in the area of ministry and society at Garrett-Evangelical Theological Seminary in Evanston, Ill.
- Michael A. Mason ’80 H’06, of Basking Ridge, N.J., is currently chief security officer for Verizon Communications. He was an accounting major at Illinois Wesleyan and upon graduation served in the United States Marine Corps, where he rose to the rank of captain. Following military service, Mason had a 22-year career with the FBI, where he served as assistant director in charge of the Washington headquarters, before leaving the Bureau in 2008 for Verizon Communications. Mason delivered the 2006 Commencement address and was awarded an honorary degree, received the Distinguished Alumni Award in 2007 and is a member of the Minority Alumni Network.
- Sundeep V. Mullangi ’97, of Chicago, is a managing director with PPM America, an investment management firm that is an indirect subsidiary of the British holding company Prudential plc. As the new Alumni Association President, he joins the Board for a three-year ex-officio term. A double major in accounting and economics at Illinois Wesleyan, Mullangi began his career at PricewaterhouseCoopers and Heller Financial, before joining PPM America in 2003. Mullangi also serves the University on the Transforming Lives fundraising campaign’s steering committee as the Wesleyan Fund representative.
- Robert K. Zimmermann ’71, of St. Louis, is the retired vice president of Latin American Operations for Energizer Holding, Inc., in St. Louis. He also currently serves as a member of the Major Gifts Committee for the Transforming Lives campaign, is a member of the St. Louis Regional Alumni Association and his son Robert Zimmerman is a 2005 graduate. While an Illinois Wesleyan student, Zimmerman was a business administration major and a member of Sigma Chi Fraternity.
The current Board of Trustees officers were re-elected for the 2013-14 academic year. Those officers include: George A. Vinyard ’71, Board chair; Herbert A. Getz ’77, vice chair; Willie G. Brown, vice chair; Thomas L. Brown ’79, vice chair; Jean M. Baird ’80, secretary and Robert E. Field ’67, treasurer.
Three trustees were granted emeritus status: David W. Gaffron, retired pastor of the Wesley United Methodist Church, Bloomington, Ill.; Rebie R. Kingston H’96, retired director of the Office of Guidance for the Detroit Public Schools and J. William Roberts ’64, managing partner of Hinshaw & Culbertson, LLP, Springfield, Ill.
Contact: Matt Kurz (309) 556-3203