June 1, 2011
BLOOMINGTON, Ill. – Illinois Wesleyan University will host its 11th annual Cello Camp June 19-July 3 as part of the IWU Summer Music Program.
The program, which is open to high school and junior high-age cellists from across the country, will open with a faculty performance on Sunday, June 19 at 7:30 p.m. in Westbrook Auditorium of Presser Hall (1210 Park St., Bloomington). Faculty for the Cello Camp will include:
• Nina Gordon – IWU Professor of Cello and Chamber Music; Founder and Director of the program
• Dana Woolard Hughlett – IWU Professor of Cello and Chamber Music
• Serafim Smigelskiy – Internationally acclaimed soloist; Principal cellist, Julliard Symphony Orchestra
• Ian Maksin – Principal, Illinois Symphony Orchestra
• Ingrid Fischer-Bellman – Indianapolis Symphony Orchestra
During the two weeks of intense cello study, daily activities will range from private cello lessons and master classes to rehearsals and performances. Camp participants will also experience elective courses such as international dance or conversational foreign language. Past languages have included Swahili, ancient Egyptian and Bulgarian.
Throughout the camp, students will have the opportunity to showcase their talents to the public. Student concerts will be held on Wednesday, June 22 at 7:30 p.m., Sunday, June 26 at 3 p.m., Wednesday, June 29 at 7:30 p.m. and Friday, July 1 at 7:30 p.m.
The camp will close with the 17th annual Midwest Cello Celebration on Sunday, July 3 at 1 p.m. in Westbrook. All performances are free and open to the public.
Contact: Sylvia Zukowski ‘12, (309) 556-3181