September 20, 2011
BLOOMINGTON, Ill. – Illinois Wesleyan University students have created student-oriented activities to celebrate 2011 Homecoming: Lights, Camera, Action . This year, students will search for the school mascot, Tommy the Titan, vote for Homecoming court, and dress-up as celebrities – to show their IWU school spirit.
Many events will be ongoing, such as “Where on Campus is Tommy the Titan.” Throughout the duration of Homecoming week, students will search for clues on where to find Tommy and are encouraged to take photos of the mascot and post them to Facebook or Twitter. Featured events will also include the “Celebrity Jeopardy” and the 60th Annual Titan Games, during which students compete against each other in various relay races.
As in previous years, residence halls, student organizations, and fraternities and sororities have been divided into teams for the week. The goal of each team is to accumulate the highest number of points, and points will be awarded during each Homecoming event. The team with the highest number of points by the end of the week will receive a $200 prize.
Additional Homecoming activities are listed below:
Monday, Oct. 17
• 8 p.m. – Judging for the lobby and banner decorating contest will begin.
Tuesday, Oct. 18
• 8 a.m. to 7 p.m. – Spirit Check-in: support your organization by wearing a club t-shirt, Greek letters, etc.
• 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. – Come meet your 2011 homecoming court while sampling local pizza creations at “Pizza Taste of Bloomington” in the Hansen Student Center (300 Beecher St., Bloomington).
Wednesday, Oct. 19
• 8 a.m. to 7 p.m. – Spirit Check-in: dress like your favorite or most outrageous celebrity.
• 7:30 p.m. – Keep your celebrity attire on and join the fun at Hansen Student Center for “Celebrity Jeopardy.”
Thursday, Oct. 20
• 6 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. – Spirit Check-in: Green Carpet Event
• 7:30 p.m. – Test your memory and dance moves, or just sit back and watch the show, at the “Lip Sync Competition” in the Hansen Student Center.
Friday, Oct. 21
• 8 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. – Spirit Check-in: throw on all your green gear and support IWU.
• 5:30 p.m. – Make your way down to Wilder Field at Tucci Stadium (300 E. Kelsey St., Bloomington) for the 4th Annual Titanium Pep-rally and Fireworks Show.
• Following Titanium – Stay in your seats and witness a 60-year tradition. Titan Games will include a sorority relay, chariot race, and rope pull competition between the men of Sigma Chi and Phi Gamma Delta.
Saturday, Oct. 22
• 1:30 p.m. – Support your Titan football team at Tucci Stadium as they battle it out against North Central College.
• Halftime – The Homecoming king and queen will be announced.
For additional information contact the Dean of Students’ Office at (309) 556-3111, the Alumni Office at (309) 556-3251, or go to www.titanpride.org.
Contact: Sylvia Zukowski ’12, (309) 556-3181