Civic Orchestra to Give Annual Concerto/Aria Concert
February 8, 2008
BLOOMINGTON, Ill. – The winners of Illinois Wesleyan University's annual Henry Charles
Memorial Concerto/Aria Competition will be featured soloists in a concert given by
the Illinois Wesleyan Civic Orchestra on Friday, Feb. 22 at 7:30 p.m.
Tickets for the concert, which will take place in the Bloomington Center for the Performing
Arts (110 E. Mulberry St., Bloomington), cost $10.50 for the general public, with
discounts available for senior citizens, students with a valid ID and IWU alumni.
Admission for students in eighth grade and lower is free.
The Illinois Wesleyan Civic Orchestra, conducted by Professor Steven Eggleston, includes
volunteer community musicians as well as Illinois Wesleyan students in its ranks.
The soloists for this Concerto-Aria concert have been chosen on the basis of auditions
judged by a panel of outside experts, and represent the finest of the School of Music's
The Orchestra will perform George Gershwin’s Cuban Overture and Richard Wagner’s Rienzi Overture. Soloists performing with the Orchestra will present the following pieces:
• Introduction, Theme, and Variations by Gioaccino Rossini featuring Sherry Reiss, Class of 2009, a music education major
from Arlington Heights, Ill. (clarinet).
• Concerto for Violin, op. 26, Movement 3 (Finale) by Max Bruch featuring Nozomi Oka, Class of 2011, a business administration major
from Kanagawa, Japan (violin).
• O, Mio Fernando by Gaetano Donizetti featuring Suzanne Rovani, Class of 2008, a voice major from
Mount Prospect, Ill.
• Concerto en un mouvement pour hautbois, op. 45 by Eugene Goossens featuring Evan Tammen, Class of 2009, an orchestral instruments
major from Thawville, Ill. (oboe).
• Concerto for Marimba, Movement 1 by Richard Rodney Bennet featuring Joshua Ziemann, Class of 2008, an orchestral instruments
major from Elmhurst, Ill. (marimba).
The concert is named in memory of the late Henry Charles, a member of Pi Mu Alpha
Sinfonia national fraternity. The Alpha Lambda chapter of Phi Mu Alpha, whose IWU
chapter was founded in 1924, has been a contributing sponsor of the concerto/aria
concert since 1979.
For additional information, contact the Illinois Wesleyan Civic Orchestra Office at
Contact: Jessica Block, (309) 556-3181