IWU’s Park Place Economist Now in its 16th Year
April 28, 2008
BLOOMINGTON, Ill. – Taking its name from the street that runs through Illinois Wesleyan’s
campus, The Park Place Economist is a well-established economic journal published by Illinois Wesleyan undergraduates,
and is one of several undergraduate journals at the University.
Students are responsible for gathering submissions, choosing articles, editing and
proofreading and planning the layout for publication. Available in print and online,
this annual journal is an opportunity for student work to be published, along with
the experience to have an active role in the creation of an academic journal.
This year’s edition will feature nine articles discussing a range of issues including
financial aid amounts affecting academic performance, gender inequality affecting
growth, and capital investment and rural-urban migration in China. Senior economics
major and The Park Place Editor-in-Chief, Elizabeth Taylor, worked with a team of 16 students and faculty
advisor, Economics Department Chair and Associate Professor of Economics, Robert M.
Leekley, to successfully publish its largest edition thus far.
Articles in this year’s edition are:
• “The Long-Term Effects of Divorce and Parental Discord on the Adult-Child’s Socioeconomic
Attainment” by Chris Davis, senior economics major.
• “The Determinants of Foreclosures for Single-Family Homes in the United States”
by Bryan Duling, senior double major in economics and business administration.
• “The Effect of Federal Funds Futures and Changes in Federal Reserve Monetary Policy
on Stock Markets: A Sector-Wise Analysis” by Kunaey Garg, senior economics major.
• “The Effects of Financial Aid Amounts on Academic Performance” by Lane Coonrod,
senior economics major.
• “Economic Returns to Higher Education: Signaling v. Human Capital Theory, An Analysis
of Competing Theories” by Jim Kjelland, senior double major in economics and English
• “Capital Investment and Rural-Urban Migration in China” by Stephanie Panozzo, senior
• “Stock Index Pricing with Random Walk and Agent-based Models” by Scott N. Swisher
IV, senior double major in economics and mathematics.
• “The Effect of Gender Inequality on Growth: A Cross-Country Empirical Study” by
Quentin Brummet, senior double major in economics and mathematics.
• “Socioeconomic Factors and Illicit Drug Demand” by Elizabeth Taylor, senior economics
The journal is available online at http://www.iwu.edu/economics/PPE.html
Contact: Kimberly Stabosz ‘09 (309) 556-3181