Chapel Hour Celebrates the Holidays in December
November 21, 2008
BLOOMINGTON, Ill. – Illinois Wesleyan University’s Evelyn Chapel will hold several
events during the beginning of December to celebrate the holiday season. The events
will be in the Evelyn Chapel (1301 N. Park St., Bloomington) unless otherwise noted.
The programs are free and open to the public.
The events are:
• Monday, Dec. 1 at 5:30 p.m. - The Multifaith Peer Council will hold its final meeting
of the semester.
• Wednesday, Dec. 3 at 11 a.m. – Chapel Hour titled “Hanging of the Greens” will celebrate
the season by decorating Evelyn Chapel for Christmas.
• Wednesday, Dec. 3 at 6 p.m. – A Kwanzaa Celebration will take place in the Turfler
Room of the Memorial Center (104 University St., Bloomington). Kwanzaa, an African-American
holiday observed from Dec. 26 to Jan. 1, celebrates African-American heritage and
culture. The holiday, which is not a religious celebration, is a chance for people
to reflect on the past, while looking ahead to the next year.
• Thursday, Dec. 4 at 6 p.m. – A Hanukkah Celebration will take place in the Young
Main Lounge of the Memorial Center (104 University St., Bloomington). Hanukkah commemorates
the recapture of the Jewish temple from the Syrians in 165 BCE by a Jewish group called
the Maccabees. The Maccabees rededicated their temple to God, but only had enough
oil to light the temple lamps for one night. The oil lasted for eight days, allowing
the Maccabees to prepare more oil. Every year Jewish families celebrate the eight
days of Hanukkah by lighting one candle each night for the eight nights on the menorah,
a particular kind of candelabra, and exchanging gifts.
• Friday, Dec. 5 at 7 p.m. – Service titled “University Service of Lessons and Carols”
will feature students and community members reading lessons and carol singing. The
service will conclude in candlelight.
• Tuesday, Dec. 9 at 7 p.m. – Movie Night featuring the film Children of Men.
For additional information, contact the Chaplain’s Office at (309) 556-3005 or visit
the Chaplain’s homepage at www.iwu.edu/chaplain/index.html.
Contact: Heather Lindquist, ’09, (309) 556-3181