IWU to Host 7th Annual Cello Summer Camp
Students enjoy an outdoor practice session during a Cello Summer Camp at Illinois
January 11, 2006
BLOOMINGTON, Ill. - Illinois Wesleyan will host its seventh annual cello camp July
9-23 as part of the 2006 IWU Summer Music Program in Presser Hall (1210 Park St.,
The cello camp, which is supported in part by the Illinois Arts Council, is open to
high school and junior high age cellists who wish to participate in two weeks of intense
According to Nina Gordon, IWU professor of cello, as well as the program founder and
director, this camp is unlike any other summer music program in the U.S. It includes
elective classes, such as conversational Ancient Egyptian, acting, singing, piano
lessons, ear-training, and tennis. In addition to the camp's daily schedule, which
includes private cello lessons, cello ensembles, master classes, performances and
elective studies, optional complementary courses in international dance, swimming
and knitting will also be offered to all participants.
The camp will conclude with the 13th Annual Midwest Cello Celebration on Saturday,
July 22 from 6 to 9 p.m. in Westbrook Auditorium of Presser Hall, highlighting the
students, faculty and guest participants. The event is free and open to the public.
Faculty for the cello camp will include:
- Nina Schultz, Art Institute, Independence, Mo.
- Adriana LaRosa Ransom, Minnesota Opera Orchestra; faculty, MacPhail Center for the
Arts, Minneapolis, Minn.
- Ludmila Lapacheva, principal, North Philharmonia, Kansas City, Kan.; faculty, Fine
Art Institute, Overland Park, Kan.
- Karl Knapp, Madison Symphony, Madison, Wis.
- Dana Woolard Hughlett, principal, St. Joseph Symphony, St. Joseph, Miss.
- Brian Kubin, co-principal, Arius Chamber Music Society, Minneapolis, Minn.
- Jennifer Heflin, South Dakota Symphony; faculty, St. Paul Conservatory, Minn.
- Nina Gordon, Professor of Cello, IWU; principal, Illinois Symphony Orchestra
The cost of tuition for the camp, which includes lessons, classes and electives, is
$480. Room and board, which includes lunch and dinner, is available for an additional
$460. Local students have the option of purchasing a meal plan, which only includes
lunches for $105. The application deadline is May 1, 2006.
For additional information, contact Gordon at (309)556-3828 or at email@example.com
or visit the cello camp Web site at https://www.iwu.edu/music/k12/camp2.html.
Contact: Taylar Kuzniar, (309) 556-3181