Associate Director for Advancement – Major Gifts
The University’s Office for Advancement invites applications for the full-time position
of Associate Director for Advancement – Major Gifts. While the position is intended to be on-campus, remote work opportunities can be
considered. Reporting to the Assistant Vice President for Advancement, this person
will build and strengthen relationships within an assigned portfolio of alumni, friends,
and parents connected to the IWU community in order to facilitate philanthropy at
the major gift level (ability to give $100,000 and above).
- Cultivate and personally solicit a portfolio of major gift and planned gift prospects
from alumni, friends, and parents with the giving ability of $100,000 aand above.
- To achieve fundraising goals, one is expected to make at least 100 personal visits
to prospects each year, along with ongoing communication. Extensive travel is required
for this position. Overnight stays average 30+ nights per year.
- Document all visits, contacts, and communications with assigned prospects in the Advancement
- Acquire and maintain an in-depth knowledge of Illinois Wesleyan's history, current
programs, activities, and culture.
- Identify and research other prospects capable of providing major gifts to the University.
- Provide direction and support for regional activities and campaign initiatives.
- Bachelor's degree required.
- Minimum of 8 years of progressively responsible experience in institutional advancement
with an emphasis on major gifts, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Candidates with a track record of success in goal oriented positions will be considered.
- Excellent communication skills--oral, written, and listening.
- Strong people and relationship-building skills with constituents from a variety of
backgrounds and a range of generations. Ability to navigate conversations across
differing cultural and political viewpoints.
- Ability to function with a high degree of independence and work within a team. Demonstrate
a strong work ethic and experience producing positive results within a goal-oriented
and collaborative environment.
- Valid US driver's license.
Please download the application at www.iwu.edu/human-resources/Positions.html. Feel free to also include a cover letter, resume and contact information for three
professional references. In addition to the aforementioned materials, applicants should provide a one-page
statement describing their understanding of inclusion and how their experiences have
prepared them to contribute to the IWU commitment of building a diverse and inclusive
Review of complete applicant materials will begin immediately and the position is
open until filled.
Illinois Wesleyan University
Human Resources, Holmes 209
1312 N. Park Street
Bloomington, IL 61701
Fax: 309-556-1710 (please use cover sheet)
The final candidate will pass a pre-employment background investigation. Per the
Governor's August 26, 2021 Executive Order regarding COVID-19 vaccination, personnel in the higher education setting will need
to either provide proof of vaccination, or apply for a medical/disability or religious
exemption. All those not fully vaccinated will be required to participate in weekly
COVID testing on our campus.
Illinois Wesleyan University does not offer H-1B or other work authorization visa
sponsorship for this position. Candidates must be legally authorized to work in the
United States at the time of hire and maintain work authorization throughout the employment
Illinois Wesleyan University is strongly committed to recruiting, supporting, and
fostering a diverse, inclusive, and civil community of outstanding faculty, staff,
and students. We seek candidates who have a demonstrated commitment to supporting
and further building our community in these dimensions. Illinois Wesleyan University’s
sexual misconduct policy may be accessed at www.iwu.edu/human-resources/SexualMisconductPolicy.html. Illinois Wesleyan University is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity
and inclusive excellence; details at www.iwu.edu/diversity.