This position performs care and maintenance of campus grounds and athletic facilities.
This is a full time, on-campus position. Generous benefits include health, retirement,
tuition assistance, and considerable time off (annual accrual of 2 weeks vacation
and 9 personal days; 12 recognized holidays and sick days).
- Groundskeeping duties; mowing, aeration, seeding, weed control through pesticide application; assistance
in campus and athletic events; irrigation system maintenance; policing grounds, edging,
and flower bed preparation and maintenance; fall leaf removal and bed mulching
- Arboriculture duties; pruning, planting, pesticide application, and limb removal
- Athletic Field Maintenance; layout and painting fields according to NCAA guidelines for all athletic events, removing
trash, mowing, weed control through pesticide application, bleacher and stadium cleaning
- Equipment Maintenance and repair; maintenance of small engine equipment; routine maintenance inspections to ensure
equipment is in safe operating condition; mechanical maintenance of grounds vehicles
including riding mowers, utility vehicles and tractors
- Snow Removal; shoveling, using snow moving equipment to clear walkways, and salt application
- High school/GED required; Associates degree in horticulture, arboriculture or landscape
- Minimum of 5 years experience preferred
- Employee must receive certification as a Grounds Technician within the first 2 years
- Knowledge of weed control methods and specifically the safe and appropriate application
of herbicides and pesticides. Pesticide applicators general standards certification
- Knowledge of methods of planting and able to tend/cultivate landscape vegetation (plants,
flowers, hedges, shrubs, lawns, trees)
- Knowledgeable in irrigation/sprinkler system operation, maintenance, and repair
- Possesses knowledge of small engine repair and grounds equipment operation, maintenance,
- Is knowledgeable of appropriate fertilizer use and application
- Awareness and adherence to OSHA safety protocols are of paramount importance
- Valid driver's license
- Occasional evening and weekend hours required; position requires an on-call rotation
- Exposure to all weather conditions, heavy lifting and carrying
- Physical demands: Routinely (>50%) lift and carry 15-50 pounds with frequent bending,
stooping, kneeling and twisting. Ability to climb ladders, often with equipment. Exposure
to extreme temperatures, heat and cold.
Please download the application at www.iwu.edu/human-resources/Positions.html. Review of applications will begin immediately and the position is open until filled.
Send applications to:
Illinois Wesleyan University
209 Holmes Hall
1312 Park Street
Bloomington, IL 61701
Level R: $16.32/hr
The final candidate will pass a pre-employment physical and background investigation.
Illinois Wesleyan University does not offer H-1B or other work authorization visa sponsorship
for this position. Candidates must be legally authorized to work in the United States
at the time of hire and maintain work authorization throughout the employment term.
Illinois Wesleyan University is committed to recruiting, supporting, and fostering
a diverse, inclusive, and civil community of outstanding faculty, staff, and students.
We seek candidates who have a demonstrated commitment to supporting and further building
our community in these dimensions. Illinois Wesleyan University is an EEO Employer.
Illinois Wesleyan University’s sexual misconduct policy may be accessed at www.iwu.edu/human-resources/SexualMisconductPolicy.html. Illinois Wesleyan University is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity
and inclusive excellence; details at www.iwu.edu/diversity.