Assistant Professor of Graphic Design (Teaching Track)
Illinois Wesleyan University and the Ames School of Art & Design invites applications for the position of Assistant Professor of Graphic Design, beginning August 2024. We are seeking a design educator with expertise in visual problem solving and a thorough understanding of design in contemporary society. Candidates should possess strong visual design skills and demonstrate the ability to inspire students conceptually, aesthetically, and technically. The successful candidate will teach at all levels of the curriculum and contribute to the growth and development of the program. Candidates with specialization in areas such as: information design, product design, animation, motion, game design, package design, identity design, or industrial design are encouraged to apply.
At IWU, the teaching track focuses on developing innovative curricula as well as contributing to the success of students, the department, and the university. It is a renewable appointment built on consecutive six-year contracts. Typically initial appointments are at the rank of Assistant Professor, with the possibility of promotion to the ranks of Associate Professor and Professor. While not eligible for tenure, appointments on the teaching track are designed to support long-term engagement and professional growth. Teaching track faculty are eligible for sabbatical following the successful renewal of the initial 6-year contract and every seven years thereafter. Additional benefits for the position include the possibility of modest start-up funds and two course releases to be taken in the first five years of appointment.
Founded in 1850, Illinois Wesleyan University is a nationally ranked, small, private undergraduate liberal arts university with highly selective admission criteria and a tradition of teaching excellence emphasizing the integration of the liberal arts and professional education. We are strongly committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive community of outstanding faculty, staff, and students. Illinois Wesleyan University is an EEO Employer. Candidates from marginalized or underrepresented backgrounds are highly encouraged to apply.
- MFA or equivalent terminal degree in Graphic Design or closely related field by contract date
- Evidence of creative practice or industry experience
- Demonstrable proficiency in oral and written communications
- Ability to foster an active and engaged learning environment
- College-level teaching experience
- Experience in curriculum development and implementation
- 8-course teaching load per year
- Academic advising in the discipline
- Professional achievement and activity: Teaching track faculty are expected to maintain currency in the profession and pedagogy
- Departmental and University service
Appointment, Rank, and Salary: Nine-month appointment, salary commensurate with qualifications and experience.
An overview of IWU’s benefits can be found here: https://www.iwu.edu/human-resources/current-employees.html.
To Apply: Please submit the following:
- Letter of application
- Curriculum vitae
- Teaching philosophy
- DEI statement
- 20 examples of personal/professional creative work
- 15 examples of student work (if available)
- Sample of relevant course syllabi (if available)
- Contact information for three professional references
Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled.
Send materials to:
Julie Johnson, Director
Ames School of Art & Design
Illinois Wesleyan University
Bloomington, Illinois 61701