General Recycling Information
All About Recycling
- Download an illustrated residential recycling flyer from The City of Bloomington.
What Can Be Recycled?
- Office paper, white and colored
- Magazine and catalogs
- Junk mail, including window envelopes
- Computer paper
- Telephone books
- Gift wrap
- Paper egg cartons
- Corrugated Cardboard: Remove all Styrofoam, flatten all boxes, and place beside mixed paper containers
- Aluminum Cans
- Glass bottles and jars (all colors)
- Plastic bottles-#1-7 with small necks
- “tin” steel cans
- 6-12 pack plastic ring carriers
- Empty aerosol cans
- Gable-top cartons (milk or juice cartons)
- Aluminum disposable trays and pie plates
- Even the smallest of misplaced items can mean a whole bag of recycling can’t be recycled. Avoid misplacing trash in recycling containers and encourage others to do the same.
How does the recycling work here at Illinois Wesleyan?
- IWU students use the recycling bins in residence hall rooms, on campus, and in campus buildings.
- The bags of recycled items are then appropriately sorted by Physical Plant employees into the recycling bin provided by the Town of Normal in the Shirk Center parking lot.
- Due to lack of staffing to sort through the bags of recycling, contaminated bags are thrown away. So avoid contamination at all costs.
- From there, recycling is collected by the city and then shipped off to plants and factories where the recycled material is turned back into the product it was originally or an entirely new product.
....More News & Events