Here's a snapshot of some of our ES students!
Also, check out what some of our ES alumni are up to after graduation!
Kiersten Bergquist '18
- Major(s): Environmental Studies (Ecology)
- On-campus Involvement: Sierra Student Coalition member, Peace Garden volunteer, Habitat for Humanity volunteer, University Choir member, Kappa Delta sister
- Off-campus Experience: Volunteer at the Lake Katherine Nature Preserve, volunteer for the Forest Preserves of Cook County, Intern at the International Rice Research Institute in the Philippines
- Study Abroad Experience: Costa Rica Tropical Ecology Mayterm (2016), Intern in the Ecology Department at the International Rice Research Institute in the Philippines (Summer 2016)
“I would like to thank IWU for giving me the opportunity to study and pursue my passions. Because of this university, I've traveled to amazing places, met all kinds of wonderful people, and put me on the path towards making a positive impact on the world.” Contact Kiersten
Jake Morris '18
- Major: Environmental Studies (International Environmental Sustainability)
- Minor: English
- On-campus Involvement: Peace Garden President, Lyrical Graffiti President
- Off-campus Experience: Peace Garden Intern (Spring 2017), Recipient of IWU Freeman Asia Internship, interning at the Gawad Kalinga Enchanted Farm (Summer 2017)
Study Abroad Experience: Philippines (Summer 2017)
Dominic Gambaiani '19
- Majors: Theatre Arts and Environmental Studies (Int'l Environmental Sustainability)
- On-campus Involvement: President of Sierra Student Coalition, GREENetwork member, head of Terracycle program
- Off-campus Experience: Avid dumpster diver that rescues, refurbishes and resells salvaged goods
"IWU has really allowed me to take initiative with my sustainability projects and start making some change here on campus that spreads to the students and families from all over." Contact Dominic
Environmental Studies Senior Awards: Each year the environmental studies faculty honor graduating seniors they feel have embodied the mission of the program and contributed to campus and community sustainability.
This award is given to a graduating Environmental Studies major who has demonstrated excellence in scholarship throughout his or her time at Illinois Wesleyan, and who has made significant contributions to the field of Environmental Studies or the promotion of sustainability. The contributions for which the student is recognized may be research contributions or service to the Environmental Studies program, the campus, or the broader community. The student must have a GPA of 3.5 or higher.
- 2017 - Christopher Crown
- 2016 - Rebecca Fiedler
- 2015 - Brittany Brady
- 2014 - Genevieve Alexander
- 2013 - Elizabeth Kuehn
- 2012 – Courtney Luensman, Hannah Williams
- 2011 – Anna Groves
This award is given to a graduating Environmental Studies major who has distinguished him or herself by advancing environmental knowledge and promoting sustainability through direct action within the community. The student may have engaged in educational outreach, research, or service work on campus or within the local community. The student is expected to have a GPA of 3.0 or higher.
- 2017 - Savannah Feher
- 2016 - Kirsten Slaughter, Nicole Chlebek
- 2015 - Amy Seter
- 2014 - Carolyn Ashley
- 2013 - Joseph Daniels, Megan George, Daniel Kenny, Jenny Long
- 2011 - Emmy Grace