Skip to main content Skip to main navigation Skip to footer content

Parent Resources

 Counseling and Consultation Services is a resource for parents who may be worried or concerned about their daughter or son.  Here are a few frequently asked questions about our services. 

1. What does Counseling and Consultation Services provide and at what cost?

Please refer to our Services Page to read an overview of the services that we provide IWU students.  Our confidentiality policy is outlined on the Confidentiality Page.  A staff of licensed counselors provide counseling to students. Help is available if your daughter or son needs any of the services included on this page.  Refer to our About Us - Making Appointments Page for emergency help information.  There is no charge for counseling.  For more information, call our office at (309)-556-3052 or you may email a counselor.  Please keep in mind that due to the non-secure nature of e-mail, the IWU CCS staff cannot ensure the confidentiality of such communication. Please use discretion when sending information that is sensitive in nature. Also, please note that we do not maintain 24-hour access to e-mail accounts. 

2. If a student seeks counseling services, does this information go on the student's permanent record?

No, information about counseling is confidential and protected by privileged communication laws of the United States and Illinois Statutes. No information is released to anyone, including parents, without the student's explicit consent. 

3.  How Can Parents Help?

  • Know the signs that may indicate psychological or emotional distress (included below)
  • Learn how to respond effectively
  • Learn about campus resources
  • Learn how to make a referral 

4.  Some Signs of Troubled Students

  • Changes in academic performance: motivation, grades, or class attendance
  • Changes in behavior: energy, personal hygiene, speech, mood, or appetite
  • Changes in relationships: death of a family member or close friend; difficulties in romantic relationships; or conflict in close relationships
  • References to suicide: direct statements about suicide; statements about hopelessness or helplessness; or pessimism about the future 

5.  How Parents May Respond

  • Speak to your son or daughter when you notice something unusual; don't ignore disturbing behavior.
  • Communicate directly in a caring manner describing the behaviors that are cause for concern.
  • Use "I" language that focuses on what you notice or what you feel.
  • Avoid being critical or judgmental.
  • Don't bring up concerns in the midst of an argument.
  • Be willing to listen to what your son or daughter has to say.
  • Ask directly how you can best be of help.
  • Encourage responsibility by helping your son or daughter to define the problem and identify possible solutions.
  • Recommend counseling as an objective, outside resource. 

6.  How to Make a Referral

  • Tell your son or daughter why you are making the referral to counseling.
  • Review information about our services by visiting this website.
  • Suggest that your son or daughter attend one session before deciding whether counseling would or would not be helpful.
  • Except in the case of imminent danger to self or others, allow your son or daughter to refuse counseling. Your suggestion might still be under consideration for a later time or a decision to be made privately.
  • Call Counseling and Consultation Services, yourself, to get information about services and how to make an appointment; for consultation about how to discuss the referral with your daughter or son; or for outside referral sources.  Our phone number is (309)-556-3052.