Student Internship Spotlight
Jennifer Boll '14
An academic internship allows students to bring their entire skill set of classroom knowledge and clinical patient care to a semester-long experience in a specific area such as pediatrics or critical care. Jennifer Boll '14 interned in the Neonatal intensive care unit of Children's Hospital of Illinois. She was paired with a staff nurse, assisting her in the direct care of the nurse's patients.
The specialized, critical-care experience gave her a more realistic view of direct patient care and allowed her to foster a better connection with registered nurses and other staff members. More than 50 percent of the Class of 2014 completed an academic internship to increase their advantages in a competitive job market. Learn more.
I would never get this kind of experience in my regular clinical coursework.
– Jen Boll '14
Internships for Academic Credit
Illinois Wesleyan University internships in nursing and in health are creative works of our students. With support from nursing faculty advisors and the School of Nursing director, students explore topics and objectives that reflect individual interests in:
- specialty areas in nursing/healthcare
- geographic areas of the U.S.
- ethnic/cultural interests
- advanced practice or expanded roles
- language study
Internships in the following healthcare areas completed by IWU students:
- Northwestern Memorial Hospital, Chicago, IL
- Ann and Robert H. Lurie's Children's Hospital of Chicago, Chicago, IL
- Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN
- Advocate Bromenn Medical Center, Normal, IL
- OSF Saint Francis Medical Center, Peoria, IL
- Carle Foundation Hospital, Urbana, IL
- The Pavillion: Behavioral Health, Champaign, IL
- McLean County Health Department, Bloomington, IL
- OSF St. Joseph Medical Center, Bloomington, IL
- Unity Point-Methodist, Peoria, IL
- Children's Hospital of Illinois, Peoria, IL
- Tripler Army Medical Center, Honolulu, HI
Areas of interest for internships: OB, Critical Care/ICU, Pediatrics, NICU, Cardiovascular, Palliative Care, Medical/Surgical, Neuro/Critical Care, Diabetes, Community Health.
Presently, over 50% of the senior class have internships for academic credit while they are completing their final semester in the nursing program.
Have you ever wondered what internships you can do with a specific major? Are you curious about where IWU students intern?
The Hart Career Center has compiled IWU student internships at over 600 organizations in over 200 cities and paired them with the student's major (or majors) at Illinois Wesleyan. Have fun exploring internship options!
Recent internships held by IWU Nursing majors.
The Hart Career Center assists students with attaining their future career goals - supporting students while they are in school and after they graduate! Some of the Career Center services include:
- Career guidance and exploration
- Internship planning and search support
- Resume development and practice interviews
- Graduate and professional school preparation
- Job search and recruiting assistance
The Career Center coordinates the centralized campus internship program and maintains Titan CareerLink, an updated online database of internships and post-graduate job opportunities. Visit the Hart Career Center early and often to keep your career plans on a successful path.