Student Internship Spotlight
Anna Mitroszewska '21
An academic internship allows students to bring their entire skill set of classroom
knowledge and clinical patient care to a semester-long experience in a specific area
such as pediatrics or critical care. Anna Mitroszewska '21 interned in three units
at Shirley Ryan AbilityLab: Nerve, Muscle, & Bone (1 week), Stroke (3 weeks), and
the COVID 19 Recovery Care Unit (6 weeks).
I have seen people coming in at their worst— trached, unable to walk, speak, or eat
— while leaving on their two feet with a smile on their face knowing that they beat
COVID. This experience has deepened my love for healthcare and allowed me to grow
in confidence, skills, and advocacy.
– Anna Mitroszewska '21
Nicole Lapapa '21
Nicole Lapapa '21 interned on the Traumatic Brain Injury floor at the Shirley Ryan
Ability Lab. She was able to take care of patients through their rehabilitation journey
after suffering traumatic brain injuries from things such as motor vehicle accidents,
gun shot wounds, strokes, and more.
I worked hand in hand with a fantastic nursing team, physicians, as well as physical,
speech, and occupational therapists. I learned so much, and grew so much as a future
nurse. I am so excited to continue my career as a nurse at Shirley Ryan after graduation.
– Nicole Lapapa '21
Internships for Academic Credit
Illinois Wesleyan University internships in nursing and in health are creative works
of our students. With support from nursing faculty advisors and the School of Nursing
director, students explore topics and objectives that reflect individual interests
- specialty areas in nursing/healthcare
- geographic areas of the U.S.
- ethnic/cultural interests
- advanced practice or expanded roles
- language study
Internships in the following healthcare areas completed by IWU students:
- Northwestern Memorial Hospital, Chicago, IL
- Ann and Robert H. Lurie's Children's Hospital of Chicago, Chicago, IL
- Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN
- Carle BroMenn Medical Center, Normal, IL
- OSF Saint Francis Medical Center, Peoria, IL
- Carle Foundation Hospital, Urbana, IL
- The Pavillion: Behavioral Health, Champaign, IL
- McLean County Health Department, Bloomington, IL
- OSF St. Joseph Medical Center, Bloomington, IL
- Unity Point-Methodist, Peoria, IL
- Children's Hospital of Illinois, Peoria, IL
- Tripler Army Medical Center, Honolulu, HI
Areas of interest for internships: OB, Critical Care/ICU, Pediatrics, NICU, Cardiovascular,
Palliative Care, Medical/Surgical, Neuro/Critical Care, Diabetes, Community Health.
Presently, over 50% of the senior class have internships for academic credit while
they are completing their final semester in the nursing program.
Have you ever wondered what internships you can do with a specific major? Are you
curious about where IWU students intern?
The Hart Career Center has compiled IWU student internships at over 600 organizations
in over 200 cities and paired them with the student's major (or majors) at Illinois
Wesleyan. Have fun exploring internship options!
Recent internships held by IWU Nursing majors.
The Hart Career Center assists students with attaining their future career goals - supporting students while
they are in school and after they graduate! Some of the Career Center services include:
- Career guidance and exploration
- Internship planning and search support
- Resume development and practice interviews
- Graduate and professional school preparation
- Job search and recruiting assistance
The Career Center coordinates the centralized campus internship program and maintains Handshake, an updated online database of internships and post-graduate job opportunities. Visit
the Hart Career Center early and often to keep your career plans on a successful path.