It is with great excitement that we can welcome you to the Office of Diversity and Inclusion! Nestled within the Dean of Students Office in Holmes Hall, 103, ODI is dedicated to the promotion of a campus community that appreciates, encourages, and celebrates diversity. We do this by advocating for students, creating spaces for cultural celebration, promoting leadership development, and providing opportunities for education and reflection about multicultural, privilege, and gender issues. Come visit us anytime!
Brandon Common and Eileen Galvez
The mission of the Office of Diversity and Inclusion (ODI) is to create transformative learning experiences for all students by supporting the mission of Illinois Wesleyan University through fostering a welcoming, inclusive, and supportive environment that promotes an understanding of and appreciation for social justice, diversity, and cross-cultural engagement.
Paying particular attention to the experiences and needs of underrepresented and marginalized students on campus, including but not limited to, Multi-racial, African-American, Latina(o), Native American, Asian-American, LGBTQ, First Generation, and Women, ODI provides a variety of resources to support the holistic development, persistence, and achievement of these students. What is more, ODI seeks to educate, advocate, and celebrate with the purpose of better preparing students to thrive in an increasingly diverse and global society.
We accomplish our mission through the following major objectives:
- To assist in the retention and graduation of underrepresented/marginalized students at IWU.
- To create a culture of leadership among underrepresented/marginalized students.
- To acknowledge and celebrate differences among ethnic and cultural groups on our campus.
- To serve as a resource for the larger IWU community (i.e., students, staff, and faculty) on issues around social justice, inclusion, and diversity.
- To provide quality educational opportunities that address issues around diversity, and challenges students to reflect upon and reconsider previous assumptions about difference.
- To support IWU's diversity strategic plan through collaborating with student, faculty, and staff partners.
- To assess office mission, objectives, programs, and initiatives on a consistent basis in order to provide cutting edge services to students.
The Office of Inclusion and Diversity
Holmes Hall, Room 103
P.O. Box 2900, Bloomington, IL 61702-2900
Fall & Spring: 8:00am - 4:30pm
Summer: 8:00am - 4:00pm
*Closed 12:00pm - 1:00pm