Pre-Medicine Physics Major
Pre-Medicine: Physics Major Course Plan
The course plan below outlines the courses students need to successfully complete
prior to taking the MCAT (Medical College Admissions Test). Your faculty advisor will
work with you to complete each semester's schedule.
As an IWU student, it is your responsibility to track your progress each semester
towards completing graduation requirements using the MyIWU degree evaluation tool.
For students interested in studying abroad, the fall semester of the third year is
recommended for students who plan to apply to medical school at the end of their junior
year and fall semester junior or senior year for students planning to apply in their
senior year. It is highly recommended that students consult with Dr. Walker as early
as possible if they plan to study abroad.
- Once enrolled, all students will have a degree evaluation tool available to them on MyIWU. This will help students determine what courses are required to graduate on time.
- The courses listed in the template must be completed prior to taking the Medical College
Admissions test (MCAT) which is taken in the May/June of junior or senior year.
- In addition to the courses listed in the template, students must also take a one semester
psychology course (PSYC 100), a one semester sociology course (SOC 101), and must
have familiarity with basic statistics-thus an introduction to statistics may be required.
- PSYC 100 also fulfills the Life Science Issues (LSI) general education requirement.
- SOC 101 also fulfills the Contemporary Social Institutions (CSI) general education
- Any of the following statistics courses would be sufficient - ECON 227, PSYC 227,
SOC 227 or BIO 209.
- The MCAT is taken during the spring of a student's junior or senior year.
- With the computer version of the MCAT, there are many possible dates. Consult a member
of the pre-med advisory committee with any questions.
- Premed Listserv – Students should be told to subscribe to the premed listserv. The
premed committee uses this listserv to disseminate important information throughout
the academic year and summer. Students can subscribe to the list through the MyIWU portal.
- Career Center – The career center has a wealth of information concerning the health