Skip to main content Skip to main navigation Skip to footer content

Returning to IWU

12As you prepare to return to the United States and to IWU, there are both practical and personal issues that you will need to attend to. And coming home doesn't mean that you are no longer engaged in education abroad: your experiences abroad will have a lasting affect - on how you see the world, how you view others, and how you see yourself.

This set of pages outlines some of the tasks you will need to accomplish both before your return and once you are back on campus.  It also offers some resources to help you prepare psychologically and emotionally for re-entry.Once back on campus don't forget to stay engaged with study abroad and things international!  We are always happy to have returned study abroad students help at our fairs, information sessions, and presentations for incoming students and parents.  Become a Illinois Wesleyan University Study Abroad Peer Ambassador!  Learn more about the program HERE. Finally, we know that many of you will want to continue your international experiences after graduation, so we offer a few pages on marketing your abroad experience; finding work, teaching, or volunteer programs; and post-graduate scholarships for study abroad.We want to hear about your experience abroad! Please take a few minutes to reflect on your experience, perhaps find a representative photo or two, and send it to us at

When you return to IWU, you'll need to make sure your abroad coursework transfers in properly.  While this happens automatically for almost all students, there are a few things you should be mindful of.



Study abroad students (except those on the IWU London and IWU Spain programs) are responsible for ensuring that their abroad transcripts are sent to and received by IWU. Normally, you do not need to do anything - your program will send your transcript when they have processed your grades. However, your study abroad program will not issue a transcript if you have any outstanding charges with them, and IWU will not grant credit without the formal transcript. 

If you are unsure when or whether your transcript has arrived, please check with your program.

Course Approval Form

Before leaving IWU to study abroad, you should have completed a Course Approval Form (CAF). Upon return to campus, you will need to complete another CAF for any coursework not listed on that original form. Coursework on your abroad transcript that does not appear on a completed CAF will be transferred in as lower-level elective credit.


Please note that all grades for coursework abroad will be transferred in and included in your GPA. See the Academic Credit page for more information.