Director of Alumni Engagement
Founded in 1850, Illinois Wesleyan University (IWU) is an independent, residential, liberal arts institution with roughly 1,700 students. Nestled
between three metropolitan areas (Chicago, St. Louis, Indianapolis), the Bloomington-Normal community is home to four
institutions of higher education, numerous eateries, activities, and civic engagement
opportunities. Through the promotion and affirmation of diversity in all its forms,
IWU creates a campus environment where students, faculty and staff will engage people
from different backgrounds and encounter a plurality of experiences.
The University’s Office for Advancement/Alumni Engagement invites applications for
the full-time, on-campus position of Director of Alumni Engagement. This position leads the strategic execution of a comprehensive alumni engagement
program that builds lifelong engagement opportunities for alumni to learn, lead, serve
and give back to the University.
Strategic Alumni Engagement Program Management:
- Design, execute and grow an integrated alumni strategic plan with metrics and benchmarks
to gauge success, consistent with industry standards
- Lead volunteer management programs for alumni volunteers including the Alumni Association
Board of Directors, committees and/or Affinity Groups
- Plan, manage and attend events including Homecoming, Regional Committee events, and
other alumni and volunteer engagement programs
Alumni and Volunteer Cultivation, Solicitation and Stewardship:
- Sustain and grow attendance at and engagement through campus, regional and national
events and affinity groups.
- Build relationships with alumni regionally and nationally to increase closeness ratings.
- Manage a portfolio of key alumni donors and prospects.
- Partner with the Director of Annual Giving to promote alumni engagement and philanthropy.
Alumni Engagement Operations:
- Manage Alumni Engagement budget.
- Direct Alumni Engagement operations including but not limited to event coordination
and data management.
- Supervise and lead Alumni Engagement staff.
- Bachelor's degree is required.
- Minimum of 5 years of progressively responsible experience in advancement and engagement
- Excellent communication skills--oral, written, and listening.
- Strong people and relationship-building skills with constituents from a variety of
backgrounds and a range of generations.
- Local and national travel up to 20% of the work schedule; average of 3-5 overnight
trips a year
- Valid US driver's license.
Please download the application at www.iwu.edu/human-resources/Positions.html. Feel free to also include a cover letter, resume and contact information for three
professional references. In addition to the aforementioned materials, applicants should provide a one-page
statement describing their understanding of inclusion and how their experiences have
prepared them to contribute to the IWU commitment of building a diverse and inclusive
Review of complete applicant materials will begin immediately and the position is
open until filled.
Illinois Wesleyan University
Human Resources, Holmes 209
1312 N. Park Street
Bloomington, IL 61701
Fax: 309-556-1710 (please use cover sheet)
The final candidate will pass a pre-employment background investigation. Per the Governor's August 26, 2021 Executive Order regarding COVID-19 vaccination, personnel in the higher education setting will need
to either provide proof of vaccination, or apply for a medical/disability or religious
exemption. All those not fully vaccinated will be required to participate in weekly
COVID testing on our campus.
Illinois Wesleyan University does not offer H-1B or other work authorization visa
sponsorship for this position. Candidates must be legally authorized to work in the
United States at the time of hire and maintain work authorization throughout the employment
Illinois Wesleyan University is strongly committed to recruiting, supporting, and
fostering a diverse, inclusive, and civil community of outstanding faculty, staff,
and students. We seek candidates who have a demonstrated commitment to supporting
and further building our community in these dimensions. Illinois Wesleyan University’s
sexual misconduct policy may be accessed at www.iwu.edu/human-resources/SexualMisconductPolicy.html. Illinois Wesleyan University is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity
and inclusive excellence; details at www.iwu.edu/diversity.