Assistant Vice President for Advancement – Major Gifts
Founded in 1850, Illinois Wesleyan University (IWU) is an independent, residential,
Liberal Arts University with roughly 1,750 students. Nestled between three metropolitan
areas (Chicago, St. Louis, MO, Indianapolis, IN), the Bloomington-Normal community
is home to four institutions of higher education, and numerous eateries, fun activities,
and civic engagement opportunities. Through the promotion and affirmation of diversity
in all its forms, IWU creates a campus environment where students, faculty and staff
will engage people from different backgrounds and encounter a plurality of experiences.
The University’s Office for Advancement invites applications for the position of Assistant
Vice President for Advancement – Major Gifts. While reporting to the VP of Advancement,
this person will provide strategic and managerial leadership to advance individual
and institutional major gifts. They will lead a team of gift officers and a prospect
researcher in an effort to build philanthropic giving. A key member of the senior
advancement team, the AVP will be an active leader in making strategic decisions affecting
the short and long range fundraising goals for Illinois Wesleyan. This person will
be a key strategist and decision maker in an upcoming campaign. This person will
collaborate closely with peers in Advancement Operations, Engagement, and other University
departments to develop and deliver on fundraising goals. In addition to managing
a team, the AVP will be responsible for developing specific metrics and evaluation/performance
plans that help Major Gifts Officers achieve their overall fundraising goals.
- Oversee the identification, cultivation, solicitation and stewardship of major gift
prospects and donors.
- Direct strategy, planning and supervision of Major Gifts team, including the development
of assessment tools for Major Gifts and keeps team motivated toward successful completion
- Personally maintain a portfolio and territory of key donors and prospects.
- Serve on Leadership team in all Advancement efforts.
- Assist Vice President in leading campaign activities.
- Aid in the development of Advancement marketing materials.
- Provide general support to the President and Vice President for Advancement as needed
to help fulfill the University’s mission.
- Bachelor’s degree required; Advanced degree preferred.
- Minimum of five years’ experience in development field required, preferably within
the realm of higher education. History of successful major gift solicitation and progressive
- Excellent written and oral communication skills are necessary.
- This position requires the ability to project a strong positive image of the University
through personal interaction with all external clients and constituents, and the ability
to motivate people.
- Job frequently requires travel and attendance at evening and/or weekend activities,
meetings, events, seminars and workshops.
Please download the application at www.iwu.edu/human-resources/Positions.html. Feel free to include a cover letter, resume and contact information for three professional
references. Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the
position is filled.
Illinois Wesleyan University
Human Resources, Holmes 209
1312 N. Park Street
Bloomington, IL 61701
Fax: 309-556-1710 (please use cover sheet)
The final candidate will pass a pre-employment background investigation.
Illinois Wesleyan University is strongly committed to recruiting, supporting, and
fostering a diverse, inclusive, and civil community of outstanding faculty, staff,
and students. We seek candidates who have a demonstrated commitment to supporting
and further building our community in these dimensions. Illinois Wesleyan University
is an EEO Employer.
Illinois Wesleyan University’s sexual misconduct policy may be accessed at www.iwu.edu/human-resources/SexualMisconductPolicy.html. Illinois Wesleyan University is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity
and inclusive excellence; details at www.iwu.edu/diversity.