STEP Peer Mentoring Program
Click here to complete the Interest Form for Mentees!
The Office of Diversity and Inclusion invites you to join the STEP Peer Mentoring Program for the 2023-2024 academic year. STEP stands for Succeeding Through Empowerment and Proactiveness because we believe in empowering our students from the moment they step on campus to be proactive individuals in three specific areas: personal, social, and professional.
STEP is open to incoming first-year and transfer students from underrepresented populations (racial, ethnic and religious minorities, LGBQ TGNCI and international students) to assist in effectively connecting them to the Illinois Wesleyan community. Once in the program, new students (mentees) will be paired with continuing students (sophomores – seniors) as their peer mentors. Mentees will be matched with peer mentors based on several criteria and preferences, e.g., race, gender, religion, academic major, interests/hobbies, etc.
- Provide assistance and direction to incoming first-year and transfer students
- Introduce students to Illinois Wesleyan and Bloomington-Normal resources
- Support and encourage students to maintain a good academic standing and participate in university and ODI sponsored activities
- Encourage team building and leadership development among mentors
- Facilitate networking activities among peer mentors and mentees
- Provide support and resources to help students adjust academically and socially to the campus community
Mentor – leadership development, enhanced awareness of campus and community resources and
services, networking, personal satisfaction
Mentee – feeling of belonging, academic/personal/social resources and activities, positive campus experience, higher level of confidence
-To join STEP as a mentor, complete a survey of interest by July 30th, found here. Or scan the QR Code below. If you have any questions about the program, please email email@example.com
-To join STEP as a mentee, complete the interest form by Aug 31st, found here. Or scan the QR Code below. If you have any questions about the program, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Congratulations to the 2023 STEP Mentors
- Em Chamberlain ○ Marie Santogrossi
- Sena Ntumy ○ Swetha Veluvolu
- Michelle Lu ○ Kayla Ellis
- Tyrin Sykes ○ Jessica Navarro
- Monica Salonga ○ Mansi Shah
- Maya McGrew