The Center for Human Rights and Social Justice supports campus initiatives related to human rights and social justice, which play a prominent role in the mission and curriculum of Illinois Wesleyan University.
These initiatives include
- Peace Fellows Program
Scholars at Risk Advocacy Seminar
- For many years, IWU students have helped lead an international effort to free scholars who have been unjustly imprisoned for exercising their academic freedom. Learn more about this year's case.
- Human Rights Undergraduate Research Workshop
- Annual Course Cluster
- Fall Human Rights and Social Justice workshop
In addition, the CHRSJ sponsors prominent guest speakers and summer internships, and provides information about the graduate programs and prospective NGO opportunities in the human rights field.
7th Annaul Human Rights and Social Justice Research Workshop! Feb 15 - 17, 2019
Changing Climates and Human Rights Discoure
Date: February 15th - February 17th
Abstract Deadline: Monday, December 3rd, 2018
Email abstracts to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Present your evolving research about how our understanding of human rights has changed, or how human rights informs our understanding of environmental justice.
- Meet with professors and students from around the country to share and critique ideas over a two day period.
- If accepted, all expense other than travel to and from Bloomington, Illinois will be paid for.
Human Rights, Environmental Sustainability and Social Justice Internships
Thanks to the generous support of IWU alumni from the class of 1970, the Fund for Human Rights, Environmental Sustainability, and Social Justice, to be administered by the Center for Human Rights and Social Justice, has been established for the purpose of supporting relevant student internships and campus programming in these thematic areas.
Beginning this summer and continuing through the 2016-17 academic year, the Center will offer up to $5,000 in individual stipends to qualified students in the graduating classes of 2017, 2018, 2019, and 2020 who complete human rights, environmental sustainability, and social justice internships.