Resources for Faculty & Staff
As a member of IWU's faculty or staff, you have an important role for shaping students' IWU experience and the campus community.
Understanding the Basics
- We're often discussing sexual orientation. Don't reference it as sexual preference, as it is not an individual's preference, it's just who they are.
- Gender identity refers to how a person labels themself.
- LGBTQIA is an initialism that stands for for lesbian, gay, bisexual, queer/questioning, intersex, asexual/aromantic.
Tips on Being an Ally
- Use people's correct pronouns.
- If you struggle to use "they" as a singular pronoun, use it to identify something in your life - a stuffed animal, your car, etc. so you can get used to using it.
- If you're not sure of somebody's pronouns, let them know yours and ask how they would like to be referenced.
- Including your personal pronouns in your email signature can be a great way to show that you're an ally.
- Use non-gendered terms, such as folks or y'all instead of ladies and gentlemen. Use firefighter instead of fireman, police officer instead of policeman, server instead of waiter or waitress, etc.
- Ask students what they'd like to be called! This helps not only with name changes, but also with nicknames and makes it easy to start out on the right foot.
- Be familiar with where gender neutral bathrooms are in the building you work or teach in.
Illinois Wesleyan News
....More News & Events