To the Class of 2020 and Their Families
April 2, 2020
To the Class of 2020 and their families:
I know you have been anxiously awaiting news about Commencement, and I am pleased
to report that we have made the decision to continue with an in-person ceremony, although
a bit delayed, and will celebrate Commencement on Sunday, August 2, 2020. In addition,
an event to honor seniors will be held on Saturday, August 1. An invitation with further
details will be sent to you from the senior committee and Alumni Engagement. All information
regarding Commencement is posted on the IWU website and will be updated as needed
Some important details:
- Commencement will be held outdoors on the Kemp Commencement Plaza in front of State
Farm Hall, weather permitting. However, in the event of heavy rains or severe weather
alerts, we will relocate the ceremony indoors to the Shirk Center. A decision will
be made on Friday, July 31 by 12:00 p.m. as to the venue and will be posted on the
- You will not need tickets. There will be ample seating for all of your guests in either
- Please note that although you may have registered to participate in the May ceremony,
in order for us to properly plan, you will need to re-register your intent to participate
in the August ceremony. Detailed instructions for re-registering will be sent to you
in the coming weeks.
- If you are unable to attend, the ceremony will also be live streamed with translation
services available in some languages, and your diploma will be mailed to you in mid-July.
- We have made arrangements for the caps and gowns you have ordered to be shipped to
your home or other preferred address at no charge if you would like. You do not need
to return them - they are yours to keep. Please use this link and select the HOME SHIP OPTION. Otherwise, pick up will be available Commencement
weekend. We will notify you later with details regarding pick up times and location.
- We will also have new time, date and place cards available to use as inserts if you
already received your announcements. Just email firstname.lastname@example.org with the quantity you need. Herff Jones also offers announcements reprinted at 50%
- In addition, you may still order caps, gowns, and other items online until July 6:
If you have questions, please contact us at email@example.com or (309) 556-3780.
I know this isn’t the end-of-year scenario you had hoped for, but the extraordinarily
resilient Class of 2020 and their experiences with Illinois Wesleyan are, if anything,
cherished even more as we've maintained our connections online during these challenging
times. I look forward to seeing you at Commencement.
With best regards,