To Graduating Seniors in the Class of 2017
From the President's Office, ext. 3151 or email email@example.com
May 4, 2017
Please see this and additional updated information posted at www.iwu.edu/commencement/
We hope you are looking forward to Commencement Day,
Sunday, May 7, 2017
This Year’s Ceremony Will be Held Outdoors
On the Kemp Commencement Plaza
This message provides information regarding the line-up for the Processional and a
brief outline of the Ceremony itself. As always, we assume a 2-hour outdoor ceremony,
even in cool weather or light rain. Please dress appropriately for the weather predicted
for Commencement Day (the current forecast is sunny, 62 degrees with a 0% chance of
rain) and bring sunscreen and water as you wish. There are no storage spaces, so everything
you bring will remain with you during the Ceremony.
PROCESSIONAL – Line up at 12:20 p.m. on Ames Library Plaza
Like all ceremonies, Commencement should be conducted with dignity and without confusion.
Coordination and instructions on Sunday, May 7 will come from the Senior Faculty Marshals—Professor
Rebecca Roesner and Professor Zahia Drici. Other faculty will join them as Marshals
for the day. Student Marshals are Alex Strogin ’18 and Hallie Shanley ’18, Junior
Line up for the Processional begins at ***12:20 p.m.*** and you must be dressed in your academic robe, cap and hood. You will first assemble
on The Ames Plaza where President Jensen will briefly greet you. Commencement programs
will be available on the Plaza, and the restrooms in Ames Library will be open from
noon to 12:40 p.m.
At 12:30 graduates proceed to the sidewalks on both sides of McPherson Theatre to
line up in the Schools of Nursing, Art, Theatre Arts and Music, and in the College
of Liberal Arts. Signs will be posted to indicate where the line-up starts for each
DEGREE – B.S.N., B.F.A., B.M., B.M.E., B.A. and B.S.
IN ORDER TO RECEIVE THE CORRECT DIPLOMA,
YOU MUST LINE UP IN ALPHABETICAL ORDER, BY DEGREE,
AS LISTED IN THE COMMENCEMENT PROGRAM.
The programs will be available when you arrive at Ames Plaza. All will go well, if
you just follow the person listed ahead of you in the program.
1. Graduates receiving the following degrees will line up single-file ON THE SIDEWALK ON THE **WEST** (BUCK) SIDE OF McPHERSON THEATRE
B.S.N. for School of Nursing graduates
B.F.A. for Art, Theatre Arts and Music Theatre
B.M. for Music
B.M.E. for Music Education
B.A. and B.S. for Liberal Arts with last names beginning A- through Johnson, alphabetically
2. B.A. and B.S. Liberal Arts graduates with last names beginning Jourdan through Zineddine alphabetically, will line up single-file ON THE SIDEWALK ON THE **EAST** (PRESSER) SIDE OF McPHERSON THEATRE.
At 12:45 p.m., the Processional will begin.
- Faculty Marshals will lead the Graduating Seniors forward on the sidewalks on each
side of the Quad to the crosswalk in front of State Farm Hall.
- The processional will then stop and Graduates will step to the outside of the sidewalk.
That provides a walkway so that the Mace Bearer (Professor Gearhart-Mafazy) and Platform
Party (led by President Jensen and Provost Green) can walk past you to the stage.
- Graduates stand in place while the Marshals lead the Faculty past you in a procession
of honor. Please feel free to share greetings with Faculty as they pass.
- Marshals then lead Graduates behind the Faculty and walk down a center aisle between the chairs on the Quad. Senior Marshals will direct you to your seat in rows
which consist of 14 chairs on each side of the aisle.
- Remain standing until the Invocation is completed. It is customary that men remove
their caps during the Invocation.
CONFERRING OF DEGREES
The Marshals and President Jensen will guide you through this step. Follow the person
listed ahead of you in the program to remain in order.
- Degrees are awarded in the order listed in the program: B.S.N., B.F.A., B.M., B.M.E.,
B.A. and B.S., and to each graduate in the alphabetic order you are lined up. For
each degree, President Jensen will ask the group of students to rise, will confer
the degree, and will then ask the graduates receiving that degree to come forward
to receive their diplomas.
- The Marshals will direct you to the left (west) side of the Kemp Commencement Plaza
where your photograph will be taken by a professional photographer as you walk toward
him. You will walk up the ramp of the Kemp Plaza, give your name to the Reader, and
walk towards President Jensen at the front of the stage as your name is announced.
- When you reach the President you shake his right hand and receive your diploma in
your left hand. Look at the President as you receive your diploma—your photograph
will be taken by the photographer.
- Follow the graduate in front of you to the rear of the Kemp Plaza, patting the "pineapple"
symbol of luck, and go down the right (east) ramp where a third, posed photo will
- Marshals will then direct your route back to your chair.
- If by some chance you receive the wrong diploma tube, you can switch with the correct
person or contact Registrar Leslie Betz after the ceremony.
RECESSIONAL AND RECEPTION
After the ceremony ends, the Mace Bearer leads the Platform Party in the Recessional.
The Marshals then direct the Faculty and finally the Graduates to line up and leave
the seating area by using the center aisle. Please return to the McPherson sidewalks before stopping, and arrange in advance with your family where you will meet on the
Quad after the ceremony. During the reception, faculty will be gathered to greet you
and your family near signs listing the individual Department and School names (see
the program for specific locations). Please look for the signs and visit with faculty
before you depart.
Before 4pm, return your cap, gown and hood, which the University has rented for you, to the Nell Eckley Lounge, Memorial Center.
You may keep your tassel.