Considering providing remote opportunities?
We are aware of the numerous challenges many of our employer partners face with remote work,
particularly providing good experiences to young talent. As a result, we also wanted
to share some resources with you if you are thinking of modifying your internship
program and/or modifying your full-time recruitment efforts to a virtual model.
Resources for delivering a virtual internship experience:
Face to Face Communication – GoToMeeting, Zoom, FaceTime, WebEx, Zoho Meetings
Other communication tools – Slack, Email, Instant Messenger
Free Project Management Tools – Asana, OpenProject, nTask, Monday
Online file sharing – DropBox, Box, GoFile, etc
What are Project-based Experiences ("Micro-internships)?
Micro-Internships are short-term, professional assignments that are similar to those
given to new hires or interns. These projects enable students to demonstrate skills
learned in the classroom, complete professional assisgnments in their field of interest,
explore industries, connect with employers outside of a traditional internship. Micro-Internships
typically range from 5 to 40 hours of work.
Sample Project-based Experiences
Mico-internships can take many forms. The following is a list of some sample projects.
- Complete a financial statement
- Create a social media post/content-creation
- Write a newsletter
- Conducting a SWOT or other analysis on your organization’s products or services
- Generating sales leads
- Developing a survey and compiling a database of results
- Provide research support in developing curatorial projects
- Contributing to fundraising efforts that include event planning, social media posting,
and donor prospect research
Helpful resources for hosting students