U.S. Domestic Transfer Students

Transfer applicants should have a minimum GPA of 2.5/4.0 from their current academic institution, although it is recommended that students carry a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher to be competitive for admission.

A minimum number of credits are not required in order to transfer. However, no more than 50% of a major or minor may be taken elsewhere. All degree candidates must complete a minimum of 2 years and 16 courses in residence.

Transfer students are accepted for the fall or spring semesters only. A formal campus visit is highly recommended to speak with an admission counselor and to assist the admissions committee with its decision.

To apply, complete either our free U.S. domestic student application or Common Application. It is also necessary to submit transcripts from all colleges previously attended, as well as a final high school transcript with ACT or SAT-I scores.

A completed Teacher Evaluation Form or letter of recommendation is required and can be submitted by either a high school or college faculty member. 

Previous applications for admission are kept on file for two years. Students who applied for admission within the last two academic years can request in writing that their application file be reactivated. To update a file reactivated for transfer admission, students should submit their final high school transcript, college transcripts and also confirm their intended major and starting term.

Transfer students are eligible to receive both merit-based scholarships and need-based financial aid. Required financial aid applications and forms are evaluated after an admission decision has been made.

The recommended application deadline for fall transfer admission is August 1, and November 15 for spring transfer admission. If you have specific questions regarding your possible transfer, or would like to arrange a campus visit, please call our Admissions Office at 1-800-332-2498.

Students who previously attended Illinois Wesleyan and want to transfer back to the University from another institution should contact the Registrar's Office (309-556-3161) rather than the Admissions Office about re-entering.