News for and about the Illinois Wesleyan community
Students, Faculty to be Google Glass Explorers
Illinois Wesleyan is one of the first universities in the state to be accepted into Google's Glass Explorer program, a test program developing its latest innovation in wearable technology.
State Farm's Passion For Education Celebrated
State Farm and Wesleyan honored this year's 100 State Farm Scholars, bringing the total to nearly 225 students awarded scholarships from the State Farm Companies Foundation in the program's six years.
Physicists Elect Spalding as Fellow
The American Physical Society has elected Wesleyan's Gabe Spalding to Fellowship in the Society, recognizing his contributions to undergraduate laboratory education.
Titans Host NCAA Sectional Rounds
The Illinois Wesleyan men's basketball team advanced to the final 16 of the NCAA Division III tournament, and will host sectional games on Friday and Saturday, March 14 and 15 at the Shirk Center.
• Senior Lexi Baltes was named one of 10 women finalists for the prestigious Jostens Trophy, awarded to an outstanding NCAA Division III men's and women's basketball player who excels on the floor, in the classroom and in the community.
> Find more highlights at
Through Sunday, March 16
Tuesday-Friday, March 11-14
Four O'Clock Office Hours -- Campus Offices will close at 4 p.m. daily during Spring Break.
• See Spring Break hours for campus facilities, including dining locations, Shirk Center and The Ames Library.
> Find IWU events on the Campus Calendar.
Don't see your event? Submit the information online.
• Stephanie Davis-Kahl, scholarly communications librarian and associate professor, is the recipient of the 2014 Association of College and Research Libraries (ACRL) Education and Behavioral Sciences Section (EBSS) Distinguished Education and Behavioral Sciences Librarian Award.
She also is among "Movers and Shakers"
featured in the Library Journal.
• Senior Web Developer Michael Gorman '10 is attending the OmniUpdate User Training Conference, March 10-13. He will lead two sessions, "One Programmer and a Full Site Redesign," and a taped session, "Benefits of XSL," for use on the OmniUpdate corporate website.
• Assistant Professor of Biology Edgar Lehr was invited to a workshop in Quito, Ecuador, to assess the conservation status of Andean reptiles from Ecuador, Peru and Bolivia: "Red List Workshop for Reptiles of Ecuador, Peru, Bolivia," February 23-28, Universidad San Francisco Quito, Ecuador, financed by National Science Foundation, the International Union for Conservation of Nature Species Survival Commission (IUCN/SSC) and NatureServe.
Participants surveyed 300 Andean lizard and snake species, summarized knowledge, actualized distribution maps, identified threats, and assessed the conservation status following the red list categories and criteria of IUCN.
The 21 workshop participants came from Ecuador, Peru, Bolivia, Costa Rica, Germany, England and the U.S.A.
• Bonnie Tria-Roy '85 is the new Director of Outside Sales for Carts of Chicago Catering, Inc., responsible for all outside sales for the company in the Chicago Metropolitan area.
> Find faculty publications and research and creative activity on the University website or Digital Commons @ IWU.
Nominations for Civic Engagement Awards
Student Senate is accepting nominations for individuals and groups who have shown an outstanding commitment to civic engagement, to be recognized at the upcoming Civic Engagement Banquet.
Nominations are invited in the categories of IWU Faculty or Staff Member, RSO, Athletic Team, Greek Organization, Community Partner, and First-Year Student. Nominations are due Thursday, March 20 by 5 p.m.
Submit a nomination
If anyone has questions, contact Civic Engagement Commissioner Sam LaLonde at firstname.lastname@example.org
Free 9x12 Campus Mail Envelopes
Free 9x12 campus mail envelopes are available, created from recycled old IWU logo envelopes with "Campus Mail" printed in black.
Call Printing Services at ext. 3086 or ext. 3087 to order.
Reminder: 2013 Flexible Spending Submission Deadlines
If you have a remaining balance in your 2013 Flexible Spending account, there are some deadlines you will want to consider:
March 15, 2014 - Deadline to incur expenses to use toward your 2013 balance
April 30, 2014 - Deadline for BPC to receive your requests for reimbursement
You can check your balance by contacting BPC at 1-800-355-2350 or by logging on to your account at www.bpcinc.com
All Flex requests for reimbursement should be submitted to BPC. Submissions can be made online through the BPC website or by mail. If you need a reimbursement form, an electronic form can be found on the BPC website and hard copies are available in the Human Resources Office.
TIAA-CREF Presentations on Tax Efficient Investment Strategies
Patrick Windle, TIAA-CREF, will be on-site Wednesday, March 19 to provide educational presentations on tax efficient investment strategies.
Date: Wednesday, March 19
Presentation Times: 8:30 a.m. and 1 p.m.
Location: Henning Room, Memorial Center
Patrick is also available for individual sessions to discuss after-tax investment strategies. Call 1-800-732-8353 to schedule your appointment time.
Titans In The News
Rhys Lovell '87 stars in "Old Hoss," written and directed by Emeritus Professor of Theatre Arts Jared Brown.
Guest speaker Sebastiaan Faber described the continuing relevance of the Spanish Civil War on the March 3 "Sound Ideas" broadcast (second of three segments).
The Love Notes column featured 2008 graduates Tyler Miller and Christa Garza, who met before they attended Wesleyan together.
• Mark Daniel of Michigan was named the new superintendent of McLean County District Unit 5, for which Todd J. Koehl '82 also was a finalist.
> More Titans in the News
Lobby Day for Environmental Issues
Thursday, April 3
Ellen Cornelius, a senior Environmental Studies major, is currently interning with the Illinois Environmental Council and is helping to organize a lobby day, including transportation for community volunteers. More information.
> Visit the GREENetwork blog.
Morning Tai Chi
March 11 through May 8
Tuesdays & Thursdays
Shirk Center South Classroom
Instructor: Sean Roberts
Start your day out on the right foot by exploring the gentle flowing movements of Tai Chi. This ancient Chinese blend of exercise, meditation and self defense, improves balance, increases strength, increases range of motion, enhances immunity and improves arthritis. To register contact Wellness at ext. 3334 or email@example.com.
Carole Brandt, former professor of drama and director of the School of Theatre Arts, died on March 5. Read an obituary.
Professor Emeritus Jim McGowan died on March 7. He was a member of the IWU English department from 1969-2000 before retiring. Read an obituary.
Find current IWU job openings
Explore Wesleyan in videos
Fiscal Year Donor Goal:
4,985 alumni donors
2,597 alumni donors
This Time Last Year:
as of Feb. 24, 2014
Campus Weekly is an electronic newsletter from Illinois Wesleyan's Office of Communications, edited by Ann Aubry, assistant director for electronic communications. To submit items of interest, email firstname.lastname@example.org.